Skip to main content

Here's what to do with common flood damaged items:


Roll it up and place it to the curb for collection. Carpet rolls should not be longer than 8 long in order to fit into the collection vehicle.

Cardboard & other paper:

Cardboard & other paper products that are saturated with water cannot be recycled and should be treated like refuse. Dry cardboard and paper products can be recycled.

Furniture (Couches, chairs, etc.):

Place to the curb with other large items. Follow large item rules for these items.


Televisions should still be taken to a drop-off site for recycling. Televisions contain hazardous material like lead and mercury. Placing them at the curb may result in them being broken, and releasing that hazardous material into the storm drain system.

Computers and Other Electronics:

Computers and other electronics be taken to a drop-off site for recycling. Computers and other electronics may contain sensitive personal information, and placing them at the curb risks someone other than Streets Division crews collecting them, which could expose residents to identity theft. The Streets Division works with an electronics recycling that takes great care to destroy the personal information on electronics collected at the sites.

Other small things:

Use your collection cart and bag what cannot fit into the cart.  Do not pile loose items, like soiled clothes or towels, loose on the curb. Bags of refuse should not weigh more than 40 pounds.

Consult the Recyclopedia for answers to other common disposal questions.

Additional information about flooding can be found on the Flood Conditions website.