Building Inspection is open to the public by appointment only.
For more on appointments and other services, please see the Building Inspection Services page.
Smart Builder Tips
Here are some tips to get the most out of a partnership with a contractor:
Try to get at least three estimates. Check contractors’ references. Visit projects the contractor has built.
If you have a concern about a contractor, you may contact
The Wisconsin Agricultural Department, Consumer Protection Division at (608) 266-9836.
The Wisconsin Department of Justice, Consumer Protection Division at (608) 266-1852.
Check with the Register of Deeds for deed or plat restrictions before construction.
Not all garage and shed kits meet building code. Check with Building Inspection before you buy a kit.
Building the overhead door higher to accommodate vans and boats can be a good resale feature.
Use ceiling and rafter space as storage area. Build it in when constructing your project and include it in plans.
Seal concrete floors to prevent salt damage. They can affect your neighbor’s property.
To prevent wall damage, place a 2x10 board at bumper height across the end of your garage.
Position and install lights to assure your safety. Make sure they do not point down and shine on your neighbor’s property.
Search BI services
- Additions to a Home - One & Two Family Residential
- Attic - alterations or conversions
- Basement - alterations or conversions
- Bathroom - alterations
- Central Air Conditioner - install
- Chickens (Raising)
- Deck - build
- Demolition of Structures
- Development Services Center
- Door Replacement
- Dwelling Units, Change Number of - 1 & 2 Family Residential
- Dwelling Units, Change Number of - Other Residential
- Electrical Work, All
- Exterior Building & Property Complaints
- Fence - install or replace
- Furnace - install
- Garage - build or replace
- Garage - demolish
- Graffiti Enforcement
- Home Heating and Cold Weather Safety
- Hot Tub, Whirlpool, Spa - install
- House (1 & 2 Family) - New Construction
- Housing Complaint
- Interior Property Complaints
- J There are no listings.
- Kitchen - alterations
- L There are no listings.
- Multi-Family Residential - New Construction
- Non-Residential - New Construction
- Occupancy Standards
- Parking Lot
- Q There are no listings.
- Rent Abatement
- Rental Property Emergency Contact
- Roofing - Reroof your house or garage
- Screened Porch
- Security Deposits and Rent Credits
- Shed - build or replace
- Shed - demolish
- Siding - replace on house or garage
- Signs & Street Graphics
- Snow Enforcement
- Snow Sidewalk Clearing
- Solar Energy System - install
- Street Occupancy
- Swimming Pool
- Tavern Capacities
- U There are no listings.
- V There are no listings.
- Water Heater - install
- Water Softener - install
- Weights & Measures, New Business
- Windows & Frames - replace
- X There are no listings.
- Y There are no listings.
- Z There are no listings.
Call us at (608) 266-4551 if you need
- an interpreter
- documents in other formats
- other accommodations
Llámanos al (608) 266-4551 si necesitas
- un intérprete
- una traducción
- documentos en otros formatos
- otras adaptaciones
Hu xovtooj rau peb tim (608) 266-4551 yog koj xav tau
- tus neeg txhais lus Hmoob
- ntawv txhais ua lus Hmoob
- dcov ntaub ntawv hloov ua lwm yam hom ntawv
- lwm yam kev pabcuam