Street Vending (Basic) License
These vendors must stay outside the perimeter of the Mall / Concourse. They must also stay at least six feet away from the building or property line and at least two feet away from the curb. Any tents or umbrellas must stay within the limits of these dimensions. Always stay at least ten feet away from a crosswalk or curb cut. The procedures are included in more detail in Ordinance 9.13, License for Selling on Public Streets. For further information, contact the Street Vending Coordinator at 608-261-9171. If interested, please call ahead to make an appointment.
How to Apply for a Street Vendor License
Applications submitted online through the City of Madison Licenses & Permits portal. If you need assistance please contact email@example.com.
You must obtain the following before you can apply for a Street Vending License:
Business Tax Registration:
Applying for a Street Vendor License Online
- The application for this license can be completed on the City of Madison Licenses & Permits portal.
- If you do not have one already, you must create an account on the Licenses & Permits portal to fill out the application. HINT: once you have submitted your registration you will be sent a confirmation email. Check your junk mail if you do not see it in your inbox. You must click on the link provided in the email to activate your account before you can sign in.
- Once you login to your account go to the Licenses/Registrations section, select Apply for a License/Registration and then choose Street Vending.
Last Updated: 06/24/2023
Contact Meghan Blake-Horst, Street Vending Coordinator
- PH: 608-261-9171
- FAX: 608-261-6126
- EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MAIL ADDRESS:
Department of Planning & Community & Economic Development
Economic Development Division
Office of Business Resources
P.O. Box 2983
Madison WI 53701-2983
- PHYSICAL ADDRESS:
215 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd, 3rd Floor
Madison WI 53703
Full Service Food Trucks at Special Events
- As of 9/28/19 full-size food trucks and trailers are allowed outside the high density vending areas with a maximum size of 28’ long x 8’6” wide x 13’6” tall.
- Full service food trucks may operate in Madison at special events and/or if licensed to vend in City of Madison parks through the Carts in Parks Program.
- The maximum size for a Mall / Concourse food cart is 56 square feet.
Bike Path Vending Prohibited
It is illegal to vend on any Madison bike path, bike way or recreational trail.
Food vendors are encouraged to use recyclable and biodegradable utensils, containers and napkins.