Last Updated: 04/19/2018
Madison Water Utility is embarking on a unique educational campaign aimed at showcasing the latest in home water efficiency and innovation. The Water Conservation House will be a demonstration home that features water and energy efficient building systems on display to the public. Interested in following the project and providing input? Sign up for our email list on the right side of this page.
Madison Water Utility currently owns property at 4724 Spaanem Ave., which is the location of a municipal well and stand-pipe reservoir. The utility has divided the property into four smaller lots, three of which are residentially-sized according to area zoning requirements. The fourth lot will continue to be home to municipal Well 9 and its 3 million-gallon reservoir. Madison Water Utility plans to sell all three residential lots near Well 9 to a developer. As part of a Real Estate Development Agreement, the developer will build one of the homes as the Water Conservation House, which will be used for a period of time for conservation outreach and education.
Madison Water Utility expects to spend about $87,000 for Water Conservation House project design and administration. The sale of the three lots to a developer is expected to generate $120,000 to 180,000 in revenue.
Take a look at information presented at April's Lake Edge Neighborhood Association Meeting:
Current plans include:
- A 500-gallon rainwater harvesting system
- Energy efficient water heating, including a wastewater heat recovery system
- Native plants & turf, rain gardens and permeable pavement designed to keep nearly all rain water on site.
- High-efficiency appliances and plumbing fixtures
We expect these innovations will cut per-person municipal water use by half.
Take a look at the initial preliminary design below!
The Water Conservation House will be designed and built with neighbors, students, educators and the Madison community in mind, so public input is critical. As the project progresses, Madison Water Utility will use the project email list to share updated information, distribute surveys and gather community input.
Past Meetings/Additional Information
- April 11. 2018: Lake Edge Neighborhood Association Meeting: Water Conservation House initial presentation 4/11/18
- Certified Survey Map of the planned location
- Madison Water Utility's Land Division Application submitted to the Madison Plan Commission
January 24, 2018 - The Madison Water Utility Board unanimously approved the concept and project plan for the Water Conservation House. The Board also approved the utility's plan to enter into an agreement with Engberg Anderson Architects to:
1) Design the Water Conservation House and landscape to be built on Lot 3 (nearest the water tower and well facility)
2) Create a draft Real Estate Development Agreement that accomplishes the project goals
3) Draft an RFP (Request for Proposals) for developers to submit proposals to purchase and develop Lots 1 ,2 and 3
- August 31, 2017 - A request for proposals (RFP) submitted to solicit bids for Architect for Water Conservation House Design.
- Jan 5, 2017 - Initial Community Meeting, Pinney Library