The April 2018 crime data is in. Today we will take a look at the shots fired data to see how we are trending.
There were 17 reported shots fired calls for service in the month of April, 2018 city-wide.
Year-to-date, we have seen 65 shots fired calls for service. For the same time-period last year, there were 57 recorded shots fired calls. We have thus seen a 14% increase this year over last year.
Through April 29th, looking at the city-wide total (64), in 25 incidents property was struck/damaged; and there were 7 incidents where individuals were struck/injured.
Where these incidents are occurring per district:
- East – 7
- North – 7
- South – 2
- Central – 1
- Midtown – 0
- West – 0
When these incidents are occurring:
- 12am-8am: 9 reported shots fired
- 4pm-12am: 6 reported shots fired
- 8am-4pm: 2 reported shots fired
The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:30 a.m. on 05/06/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 05/07/2018, MPD received 361 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
**Priority calls only between 12:42pm-1:15pm due to calls for service.
**Priority calls only between 6:38pm-7:22pm due to the missing adult call.
1) CENTRAL: Check Person – 7:10 a.m. Officers responded to the 600 block of E. Washington Ave for a subject (24-year-old AAF) causing a disturbance and refusing to leave the premises. Contact was made with the subject and she agreed to leave voluntarily. No further action by the police was deemed necessary.
2) CENTRAL: Stolen Auto – 8:54 a.m. Officers responded to the 400 block of W. Main St for a vehicle crash. The vehicle involved had been reported as stolen earlier in the day. The vehicle was occupied by three juveniles. The three juveniles fled on foot. One of the juveniles (16-year-old AAM) was apprehended and cited for operating a motor vehicle without consent (misdemeanor) and released to a parent/guardian. The two other juveniles were identified, located and arrested. Charges for the two juveniles are not known at the time of this writing. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 11:24 a.m. Officers responded to Kings Mill Way to make contact with a suspect in a theft of checks report. The suspect was identified (51-year-old AAF), located and arrested for forgery. Two victims were involved (65-year-old WF and 42-year-old WF).
4) CENTRAL: Drug Incident Overdose – 11:28 a.m. Officers responded to the 400 block of W. Wilson St to check the welfare of a subject (24-year-old WM) who overdosed. Entry was made to the residence to check on the subject. The subject was transported to a local hospital for an evaluation. The subject was left in the care of medical staff.
5) NORTH: Missing Juvenile/Runaway – 12:24 p.m. Officers responded to Onsgard Rd for a report of a missing 2-year-old (HM). Multiple resources were used in an attempt to locate the child. There was a delay in reporting. The child was ultimately found safe and in the care of a friend, who subsequently turned the child over to his mother. No further action by the police was deemed necessary.
6) SOUTH: Information – 12:42 p.m. Officers met with a 17-year-old HF and her father where it was reported that the daughter was involved in a sexual relationship with an older male. The suspect is known to the victim and tentatively identified. Investigation continuing.
7) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 1:30 p.m. Officers responded to a north residence for a disturbance between acquaintances. The suspect (45-year-old AAF) threw the contents of her coffee mug at the victim (23-year-old HF) during an argument. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.
8) NORTH: Crash with Injuries – 4:15 p.m. Officers responded to N. Stoughton Rd/Hoepker Rd for a vehicle/motorcycle crash. The driver of the vehicle (22-year-old WF) stopped at a yellow light when the driver of the motorcycle (38-year-old WM) rear-ended her. The driver of the motorcycle and his passenger (30-year-old WF) were both conveyed to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The driver of the motorcycle was cited for following too closely.
9) CENTRAL: Drug Incident Overdose – 4:58 p.m. Officers responded to the City library on W. Mifflin St for a passed out subject (35-year-old WM). Lifesaving measures were not successful. Initial indicator of death is a drug overdose. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
10) MIDTOWN: Missing Adult – 5:09 p.m. Officers responded to a local hospital for a report of a missing subject (74-year-old WM). K9 track conducted. The subject was located safe by a community member in a parking ramp. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
11) MIDTOWN: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 6:30 p.m. Officers responded to Lumley Rd for a report of shots fired. Officers located several casings in the area, as well as bullet strike damage to a building. Press release completed. Town of Madison PD conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle and the occupants matched the description from this incident. The driver/suspect (23-year-old AAM) was arrested for operating while intoxicated, carrying a concealed weapon and felon in possession of a firearm. The passenger/suspect (22-year-old AAM) was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon and felon in possession of a firearm. Two firearms were recovered from the vehicle. Investigation continuing.
12) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 7:52 p.m. A victim (22-year-old WF) reported being inappropriately contacted/touched by an unknown suspect (AAM) as she was walking. There was a several hour delay in reporting. Investigation continuing.
13) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 8:46 p.m. Officers responded to James Madison Park for a report of a large disturbance. The area was chaotic as officers arrived as there were people trying to leave the park. The investigation led to the identification of multiple suspects. Individuals on scene were not cooperative with police. One of the suspects (25-year-old AAF) was arrested for disorderly conduct and had an outstanding warrant. A second suspect (21-year-old AAM) was arrested for obstructing. Investigation continuing.
14) MIDTOWN: Armed Robbery – 12:04 a.m. Officers responded to a convenience store on Verona Rd for an armed robbery. The suspect (AAM) displayed a handgun. K9 track completed. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.
15) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 12:10 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence where a victim (31-year-old WF) reported being harassed and receiving threatening messages from her boyfriend/suspect (39-year-old WM) whom she was in the process of breaking up. The suspect also threatened the victim's parents. The suspect was contacted and was uncooperative with police. The suspect was charged with domestic disorderly conduct, disorderly conduct and resisting.