The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 04/12/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 04/13/2019, MPD received 484 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 484 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (90), East (93), Midtown (74), North (63), South (38), West (75), and Other (51). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) SOUTH: Stolen Auto – 7:13 am. Officers responded to the 2900 block of Todd Dr where a victim (26-year-old WF) reported her vehicle stolen from her residence. The victim reported the vehicle was locked and she had the keys in her possession. Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 9:41 am. A victim (69-year-old WF) reported she was waiting for a bus near the intersection of S Bedford St and W Washington Ave when her neighbor/suspect (34-year-old WM) approached her in his vehicle and threatened her and her grandkids and pointed a handgun at her. Officers recovered a handgun from the suspect's vehicle and the suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct while armed. Investigation continuing.
3) NORTH: Robbery – 12:40 pm. Officers responded to Old National Bank at 2929 N Sherman Ave for a report of a robbery. The suspect (21-year-old HM) fled on foot but was located nearby minutes later and taken into custody. The suspect was charged with robbery. Investigation continuing.
4) CENTRAL: Check Person – 2:00 pm. Officers made contact with two male subjects (one 21-year-old WM) in the 600 block of E Gorham St who were walking with rifles, exercising their right to open carry. Officers monitored the subjects' activity until they left the area.
5) EAST: Retail Theft – 2:15 pm. Officers responded to Walmart at 4198 Nakoosa Trl for a retail theft. The suspect (21-year-old WF) was cited for retail theft and trespassing and was taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: Unwanted Person – 2:30 pm. Officers responded to Festival Foods at 810 E Washington Ave for a suspect (49-year-old AAM) in the store who was banned. When a loss prevention employee of the store attempted to escort the suspect out of the store, the suspect yelled obscenities at her and threatened her. The suspect then urinated on an exterior wall of the store and continued to create a disturbance. The suspect was arrested for depositing human waste, disorderly conduct and outstanding warrants. Investigation continuing.
7) CENTRAL: Residential Burglary – 2:45 pm. Officers responded to a cold scene burglary in the 1600 block of Fordem Ave. Among the items taken was an assault rifle. The suspect(s) remain at large. Investigation continuing.
8) CENTRAL: Sexual Assault – 6:50 pm. A victim (35-year-old WF) reported that the suspect (30-year-old AAM) made inappropriate sexual contact with her while in Tobacco Mart on State St. Officers located the intoxicated suspect a block from the store and after viewing video of the incident, charged him with 4th degree sexual assault, disorderly conduct and bail jumping. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Check Person – 7:08 pm. Dispatch received a call from a subject (31-year-old WM) who said he intentionally cut himself. Officers made contact with the subject who was voluntarily transported to a local hospital.
10) CENTRAL: OMVWI – 9:38 pm. Dispatch received a report that a vehicle had crashed at 803 E Washington Ave. Witnesses followed the suspect (42-year-old WM) who fled on foot and officers located him near the crash scene. The suspect was arrested for OMVWI 2nd offense, driving while revoked, failure to install ignition interlock device, hit and run and reckless driving. Investigation continuing.
11) SOUTH: Death Investigation – 9:48 pm. The welfare of a subject (72-year-old WM) was checked when he missed a Meals on Wheels delivery. The subject was found deceased in his residence. Nothing suspicious. Medical examiner on scene.