COVID-19: Open Space Park Event Permit
Posted Friday, February 12, 2021 at 8:40 am
On February 8, 2021 Public Health Madison & Dane County (PHMDC) issued Emergency Order #13, which is in effect on February 10, 2021 and lasts for 28 days. Under PHMDC order #13, outdoor public gatherings where food or drink is offered are limited to 100 or fewer people abiding by physical distancing requirements. Outdoor public gatherings where food or drink is not offered are limited to 150 or fewer people abiding by physical distancing requirements. Face coverings are required for any outdoor gathering of more than 50 people.
If an event meets the criteria to occur under this order or any future orders, organizers must submit detailed plans that show how they will meet PHMDC requirements for physical distancing and cleaning policies, and a plan for monitoring attendance at the event. Please contact us at MadisonEvents@cityofmadison.com for additional information.
If this order or any future PHMDC order restricting or prohibiting the size or nature of outdoor events are in place on the date(s) of an event, they supersede and may invalidate any approved street use or park event permits.
The Open Space Park Event Permit is for small park events that fit the criteria listed below and can adhere to Public Health of Madison and Dane County restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic that may be in place on the date of the event.
- Expected attendance at or below the PHMDC gathering restrictions in place on the date of the event.
- Must provide estimated number of guests.
- Requesting reserving open space in a Madison Park (no shelter reservation).
- Not a fundraising event.
- Not an advertised event.
- There will be no vending.
- The event will not take up extensive space in the park. The rest of the park must be accessible to the public.
- Must adhere to the PA1 requirements if requesting an amplification permit
- Sound Limit: 75 dB, 150 ft from the source.
- Time Limit: Between 8 AM and 9 PM, 6 hour duration
- No more than one temporary structure permit allowed.
- One-day event only.
Applications must be submitted at least 14 days before the event date if requesting a temporary structure permit.
PHMDC Gathering Restrictions and Guidelines (Updated 2/10/21)
- Outdoor public gatherings where food or drink is offered are limited to 100 or fewer people abiding by physical distancing requirements.
- Outdoor public gatherings where food or drink is not offered are limited to 150 or fewer people abiding by physical distancing requirements.
- Face coverings are required for any outdoor gathering of more than 50 people.
- Face coverings are recommended when outdoors and within 6 feet of people outside of your household.
- Attendees must be instructed to stay home if feeling ill.
- We are not able to clean tables or park equipment. We encourage you to sanitize them before use.
- Bring your own disinfecting materials and hand soap/sanitizer.
- Please take any trash you bring into the park out of the park with you.
- Avoid touching common touchpoints.
- Avoid direct contact with others such as hugs and handshakes.
- Drinking fountains are not available.
- COVID-19: Open Space Park Event Application: MS Word | PDF
- COVID-19: Open Space Park Event Permit Fee Schedule
Please submit the COVID-19: Open Space Park Event application at MadisonEvents@cityofmadison.com. If you have questions about the permit or if you want to check on the availability of a park, you may contact the Community Events Assistant at MadisonEvents@cityofmadison.com, (608) 264-9289.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Street Use Staff Commission
- Events on Madison Streets Packet
- Events that Need Water Quality Testing