Community Events on State Street and the Capitol Square
Public Health of Madison and Dane County (PHMDC) is issuing orders for gathering limits, physical distancing and masking due to COVID-19. These orders are updated based on Dane County data and metrics. View the Current Orders.
If an event meets the criteria to occur under this order or any future orders, organizers must review PHMDC requirements for gathering limits, physical distancing and cleaning policies, to ensure the event is in compliance. Please contact us at MadisonEvents@cityofmadison.com for additional information.
If this order or any future PHMDC order restricting or prohibiting the size or nature of outdoor events are in place on the date(s) of an event, they supersede and may invalidate any approved street use or park event permits.
Stay up to date with Public Health of Madison and Dane County guidelines for events:
For guidance from the CDC on events and gatherings:
Downtown Performance Space Permit
Downtown Performance Space Permits are often used for music, speakers, rallies or performances. Locations cannot be reserved more than 3 weeks in advance. These reservable areas have electrical outlets. The cost for the reservation is $15 for the permit plus $0.25/hour for electrical use. No amplification is allowed outside of the given timeframes. Any setup or teardown time may not interfere with other designated permit times.
If the location or timeframe of your event falls outside the above list, you will need to apply for a STREET USE PERMIT. Please be aware that the Street Use Permit application requires a minimum of 30 days advance submission and a $100 non-refundable application.
How to Reserve a Downtown Performance Space:
- Online - Click here to complete your reservation..
- Call - Phone the Madison Parks Administration office, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 4:15 pm at (608) 264-9289 to check on time availability and make a reservation.
Locations and Times:
Confluence at Library Mall (formerly State Street Mall, Podium)
- 700 - 800 State St. Map
- Available daily - 12:30-1:30 pm OR 5:00-9:00 pm
Peace (Elizabeth Link) Park
- 452 State Street Map
- Mon. - Wed. 12:00-1:00 pm OR 5:00-7:00 pm
- Thu. - Sun. 12:00-1:00 pm, 1:30-2:30 pm, 3:00-4:00 pm, 4:30-5:30 pm OR 6:00-7:00 pm
The Forum (formerly 30 On the Square, Top of State)
- Top of State St., next to the Wisconsin Veterans Museum Map
- Sun. - Fri. - 12:00-1:00 pm OR 5:00-9:00 pm
- Sat. - 9:30-11 am, 11:30-1:00 pm OR 5:00-9:00 pm
- 100 N Hamilton St., next to the Madison Children's Museum Map
- Sun. - Fri. - 12:00-1:00 pm OR 5:00-7:00 pm
- Sat. - 9:30-11 am, 11:30-1:00 pm OR 5:00-7:00 pm
Concrete Park/Frances Plaza
- 500 N. Frances St., where N. Frances meets State St. Map
- Available daily - 12:00-1:00 pm OR 5:00-9:00 pm
Phone (608) 264-9289 or email Madison Events
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Street Use Staff Commission
- Events on Madison Streets Packet
- Events that Need Water Quality Testing