Community Events on State Street and the Capitol Square
Posted Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 12:55 pm
Special Events Update: Public Health Madison & Dane County (PHMDC) has issued order #7 effective July 2, 2020 at 8:00am. Under PHMDC order #7, outdoor public gatherings are now limited to 25 or fewer people (not including employees) abiding by physical distancing requirements.
If an event meets the criteria to occur under this order or any future orders, organizers must submit a detailed plan that shows how they will meet PHMDC requirements for physical distancing and cleaning policies, and a plan for monitoring attendance at the event. Please contact us at MadisonEvents@cityofmadison.com for additional information.
If this order, or any future order(s) restricting gatherings of people, are in place on the date of an event, the order in place at the time supersedes and may invalidate any approved street use or park event permit, if the order includes restrictions that prohibit the size or nature of an event.
Rallies and Marches on State Street Permit Application Process
Are you organizing a rally and/or march on State Street?
We highly encourage you to use the locations and times allowed for a Downtown Performance Space Permit. This will save you cost and time. This permit can be issued quickly, no earlier than 3 weeks prior to the event. Cost is $15 plus $0.25/hour electricity fee.
The following permits also may be required from the City and/or the State.
- If you decide to stage your rally outside of the the prescribed locations and times allowed for State Street Amplification, you will need to apply for a Street Use Permit. Please note, you will need to apply 30 days prior to your rally and there is a $100 non-refundable application fee.
- Parade Permit: If there is a march component to the event, you will need a parade permit
- If you intend to have your march end at the Capitol Building or Grounds, you will need a State Facility Use Permit. To obtain this permit, you must contact Capitol Police, or call (608) 266-7840.
1. Complete the Application
Dependent on the requirements of your event, complete a Downtown Performance Permit (RECOMMENDED) or a Street Use Permit Application. If you have any questions about this process, please call (608) 266-6033.
2. Submit to:
Madison Parks Division
210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Room 104
Madison, WI 53703
Fax: (608) 267‑1162
3. Review by Madison Parks Staff
If you use the recommended process of the State Street Amplification Permit, applications are reviewed and issued as they are received; if time and location requested are available. If you are planning your rally outside of the recommended locations and times, the Street Use Permit Application is reviewed monthly by a city panel.
4. Approval and Issuance
Amplification Permits are issued when availability is confirmed and in compliance with MGO 24.04(3)(b)2.
Phone (608) 266‑6033 or email Madison Events.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Street Use Staff Commission
- Events on Madison Streets Packet
- Events that Need Water Quality Testing
More Parks & Facilities Available for Reservation
- Park Shelter Reservations
- Olbrich Botanical Gardens Reservations
(608) 246-4733 / Email
- Warner Park Community Recreation Center Reservations