appliance collection basics
The City of Madison charges a fee to recycle many appliances. This fee applies to appliances left at the curb for collection or brought to the two City drop-off sites.
Appliances are considered a large item. Therefore, for appliances to be collected from the curb they must be placed out for collection by 7:00am on the scheduled large item day for your home and have the appropriate recycling fee sticker attached, if one is required for the item. However, not all appliances can be set to the curb.
Televisions, computers (including laptops), and monitors must not be placed at the curb. These items must be brought to our drop off sites.
All other items listed below can be placed at the curb with the sticker attached, or taken to a drop-off site. Recycling fee stickers are only required for the appliances listed below. Other appliances can be collected at the curb on the scheduled large item collection day without a fee.
A $35 fee will be charged for the following items
- Air Compressors
- Air Conditioners
- Large Commercial Appliances
- Wood Stoves
- Trash Compactors
- Water Heaters
- Water Softeners
- Large Medical Devices
- Ice Machines
- Water Coolers
- Hot Tubs
A $15 fee will be charged for the following items
- Fluorescent light fixtures
- Microwave ovens
- Small "dorm" refrigerators weighing less than 50 pounds
- Gas Grills
- Lawn Mowers
- Snow Throwers
- Garden Tillers
A $10 fee will be charged for the following items
These items are not collected curbside but must be brought to our drop off sites.
- Computer Monitors
- Lap Top Computers
- Desk Top Computers
TELEVISIONS - $15 FEE
How is the Fee Paid?
Residents must purchase a recycling sticker to attach to appropriate appliances left at the curb or brought to a drop off site.
- Space heaters
- Stereo Equipment (Can be recycled at drop-off sites)
- Garbage disposals
- Toasters and toaster ovens
- Printers (Must be recycled at drop-off sites)
- Radios (Can be recycled at drop-off sites)
- VCRs (Must be recycled at drop-off sites)
Small appliances that do not require a fee and are mostly metal and aslo weigh less than 10 pounds, like a toaster, can be placed into the green recycling cart.
Items like stereo equipment, box fans, Christmas tree lights and certain other small consumer electronics can be recycled at no charge at the drop-off sites. .
Certain other electrioncs like VCRs, printers, must be recycled because they are banned from the landfill. Electronics banned from the landfill can be brought to the drop-off sites for recycling, and please note that some banned items, like computers, require a fee.
Before you put an item out for collection consider donating reusable items to a charity or give away or sell them at Madison Stuff Exchange.
There are also several scrap dealers in town who will accept most old appliances, some charge a fee. Call dealers first for prices and conditions of disposal.
Dealers that accept appliances include:
- All Metal Recycling: 1802 S. Park St. (608) 255-0960
- Kruser Recycling : 6421 Edna Taylor Parkway (608) 223-9220
- Resource Solutions: 5493 Express Cir. (608) 244-5451
- Alter Recycling: 4400 Sycamore Ave. (608) 241-1571
Recycling fee stickers are available at the following outlets
- Order online
- By Mail: Street Division, 1501 W. Badger Rd., Madison, WI 53713
- In person: During regular business hours Monday - Friday 8am - 4pm
City Treasurer: 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Street Division: 1501 W. Badger Rd., or 4602 Sycamore Ave.
- All Madison Public Library branches during their regular business hours. The libraries accept cash or check only. No credit cards