The City of Madison charges a fee to recycle many appliances, televisions, computer monitors, laptop and desk top computers. This fee applies to appliances left at the curb for collection or brought to the two City drop off sites.
Televisions, computers (including laptops), and monitors should not be placed at the curb. These items must be brought to our drop off sites. All other items listed below can be placed at the curb with the sticker attached, or taken to a drop-off site.
A $35 fee will be charged for the following items
- Air Compressors
- Air Conditioners
- Large Commercial Appliances
- Wood Stoves
- Trash Compactors
- Water Heaters
- Water Softeners
- Large Medical Devices
- Ice Machines
- Water Coolers
- Hot Tubs
A $15 fee will be charged for the following items
- DO NOT PLACE TELEVISIONS AT THE CURB. THEY MUST BE BROUGHT TO A DROP-OFF SITE FOR RECYCLING.
- Fluorescent light fixtures
- Microwave ovens
- Small "dorm" refrigerators weighing less than 50 pounds
- Gas Grills
- Lawn Mowers
- Snow Throwers
- Garden Tillers
A $10 fee will be charged for the following items
These items are not collected curbside but must be brought to our drop off sites.
- Computer Monitors
- Lap Top Computers
- Desk Top Computers
How is the Fee Paid?Residents must purchase a sticker to attach to appropriate appliances left at the curb or brought to a drop off site.
Note: Televisions, computer monitors and CPUs should not be placed at the curb for collection. They must be brought to a drop-off site for recycling.
- Space heaters
- Stereo Equipment (Can be recycled at drop-off sites)
- Garbage disposals
- Toasters and toaster ovens
- Printers (Must be recycled at drop-off sites)
- Radios (Can be recycled at drop-off sites)
- VCRs (Must be recycled at drop-off sites)
Small appliances that do not require a fee as noted above are mostly metal and weigh less than 10 pounds, like a toaster, can be placed into the green recycling cart.
Any of the consumer electronic items listed above as well as most other consumer electronics, including cords and Christmas tree lights, can be brought to the drop-off sites for recycling.
Before you put an item out for collection consider donating reusable items to a charity or give away or sell them at Madison Stuff Exchange.
There are also several scrap dealers in town who will accept most old appliances, some charge a fee. Call dealers first for prices and conditions of disposal.
Dealers that accept appliances include:
- All Metal Recycling: 1802 S. Park St. (608) 255-0960
- Kruser Recycling : 6421 Edna Taylor Parkway (608) 223-9220
- Resource Solutions: 5493 Express Cir. (608) 244-5451
- Alter Recycling: 4400 Sycamore Ave. (608) 241-1571
Appliance fee stickers are available at the following outlets
- Order online
- By Mail: Street Division, 1501 W. Badger Rd., Madison, WI 53713
- In person: During regular business hours Monday - Friday 8am - 4pm
City Treasurer: 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Street Division: 1501 W. Badger Rd., or 4602 Sycamore Ave.
- All Madison Public Library branches during their regular business hours. The libraries accept cash or check only. No credit cards