SELF HELP DROP OFF SITE
The City of Madison operates two self-service drop-off sites that accepts excess cardboard, general recyclables, large items, refuse, electronics, cooking oil, yard waste, and brush. Sites can be utilized ONLY by City of Madison residents and property owners. Contractors are not allowed to use the self-help drop-off sites (contractors are only allowed to use the brush processing center for brush disposal). Proof of residency and/or property ownership is required in order to use the facilities.
The Streets Division also operates one seasonally available yard waste only drop-off site, and a brush processing center for large loads of brush material.
Before you put an item out for collection, or dropping it at our sites, consider donating reusable items to a charity, or posting them to give away or sell at the Madison Stuff Exchange.
Please note that the drop-off site hours differ from the office hours.
- East: 4602 Sycamore Ave
- West: 1501 W. Badger Rd
- YARD WASTE ONLY: 402 South Point Rd
Hours of Operation - Drop-off Site
Expanded Summer Hours:
Saturday, March 30, 2019 to Sunday, December 8, 2019
- Monday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Tuesday 8:30am - 8:00pm
- Wednesday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Thursday 8:30am - 8:00pm
- Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Saturday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Sunday 8:30am - 4:30pm
Monday, December 9, 2019 to Friday, March 28, 2020
- Monday: 7:30am to 3:00pm
- Tuesday: 7:30am to 3:00pm
- Wednesday: 7:30am to 3:00pm
- Thursday: 7:30am to 3:00pm
- Friday: 7:30am to 3:00pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
Holiday Closings - Operations Closed
The City of Madison self-help drop off sites will be closed on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving & the Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
Holiday Schedule - Half Days
- Christmas Eve - sites close at 11 a.m.
- New Year's Eve - sites close at 11 a.m.
LOAD RESTRICTIONS AT DROp-oFF SITES
The City of Madison drop off sites are not designed to handle large volume customers, and some materials, such as building material and sod, have specific limits.
Residents and taxpayers can bring one pick-up and/or small trailer load of material each day.
- If you have more material, you are welcome to return on another day, place it at the curb for collection, or take large items and refuse to the Dane County Landfill.
- Large volumes of brush, and brush cut by a contractor, can be taken to our Brush Processing Center.
Please note that our curbside limit of 4 95-gallon carts or their equivalent per week applies to the drop off sites as well. Customers with large volumes of material to dispose of may want to consider hauling it to the Dane County Landfill.
The below are items accepted at the Badger Rd. and Sycamore Ave. drop-off locations. Please note that the South Point Rd. location only accepts yard waste.
Material that Will be Recycled:
- Yard waste
- Household batteries
- Cooking oil
- Some large items (including mattresses, tires, etc.)
- Computers & electronics (includes holiday lights, CDs/DVDs, and much more)
- Vehicle/Lead acid batteries (cars, truck, motorcycles, etc.)
- Scrap metal
Material that Will be Landfilled:
- Building materials. The regulations for curbside collection of building material also apply to material brought to the drop off site. This includes the limit of six 30 gallon containers or their equivalent in volume.
- Some large items: (including furniture, carpeting, etc)
- Mixed rigid plastic
Note: A fee is charged for disposal of tires, certain appliances, and other large items at the self help sites. Go to the Appliance Collection page for more details.
Brush processing center
The Brush Processing Center is located at 121 E. Olin Avenue. This processing center has different hours and restrictions than the other drop-off sites. Please visit the Brush Processing page for more information.
Other Notable Site Regulations
- City of Madison residents and property owners ONLY. Bring proof of residency or ownership.
- No contractors at the self-help sites. Contractors may use brush processing center at 121 E. Olin Ave to dispose of brush. Contractors call East: (608) 246-4532 or West: (608) 266-4681 for information.
- Building materials must follow Building Material Regulations
- No hazardous materials or waste oil.
- No 55 or 30 gallon drums or barrels.
- Propane tanks will be accepted if completely empty and brought to the site with all valves completely open.
- No medical waste.