The collection schedule may vary due to weather or holidays. If possible, avoid putting out large items on weeks with a City holiday.
- East Side information call (608) 246-4532
- West Side information call (608) 266-4681
Large item rules and regulations for downloading or printing:
General GuidelinesLarge items are appliances, furniture, carpeting, mattresses, box springs, plumbing fixtures (toilets, sinks, etc.) and other items too large to be safely lifted by a single person.
Before you put an item out for collection consider donating reusable items to a charity or give away or sell them at Madison Stuff Exchange.
Note: THERE IS A FEE FOR THE COLLECTION OF CERTAIN APPLIANCES AND OTHER LARGE ITEMS SUCH AS LAWN MOWERS. COLLECTION FEE INFORMATION.
Place As Many Items in Your Tan Refuse Cart As PossibleMany large items which do not require collection fees, can be placed in your tan refuse cart. Please put items such as lamps, vacuum cleaners, and small furniture in your tan refuse cart. You may also want to break up or cut up items like lumber, drywall, and plumbing fixtures so they fit in your cart.
Remember, the material in your cart cannot weigh more than 100 pounds or stick out more then 18" above the top of the cart.
Please follow these guidelines for large items
- Place large items at the curb by 7am on your assigned large item collection day.
- Keep large items separate from regular refuse.
- Set out in a safe and orderly manner.
- Keep items away from trees, utility poles, mail boxes, traffic signs, fire hydrants and parked cars.
- Keep appliances and other large metal items separate from other material so they can be recycled.
- Appliances: Collected by a separate unit. A fee is charged for selected appliances.
- Refrigerators and freezers: Doors must be removed.
- Automobile Tires: A fee is charged for tire collection. Tire collection is limited to residential units only.
- Rims and wheels will be collected if removed from tires.
- Boats A fee is charged for of boats
- Bricks, Concrete, Concrete Blocks, Garden Pavers, Rocks, Stone are not collected. They must be taken to the Dane County Landfill
- Building Material
- Carpet/Carpet Padding: Roll up and bind the rolls closed. If the rolls are over 8 feet in length, you can cut them down to size, or fold them over and tie off with rope or use duct tape. Carpet and padding may be rolled together.
- Furniture: Place at the curb separate from regular trash. Do not pile trash on furniture.
- Fuel Oil and Gasoline Tanks: Will be collected if empty and drained.
- Gas Grills: A fee is charged. No fee for charcoal grills.
- Hot Tubs : A fee is charged for hot tubs
- Lawn Mowers, Tillers, Snow Throwers: A fee is charged.
- Mattresses and Box Springs: Place at the curb separate from regular trash. Do not pile trash on bedding. Mattresses and box springs are now recycled. There is no longer a fee for this service.
- Metal and wood poles: Poles will be collected if concrete bases are removed. The concrete will not be collected. It must be taken to the Dane County Landfill
- Propane Tanks: Five gallon tanks Will be accepted at drop off sites ONLY. Tanks must be completely empty and brought to the site with all valves open. Tanks with propane should be taken back to propane dealers.
- Sofa Sleepers: If possible, separate the metal bed frame from the rest of the unit. This will allow us to recycle the metal. Place the frame next to the rest of the sofa for collection.
- Windows: Tape glass to prevent breakage.
The Following Items Will NOT be Collected
- Concrete blocks
- Rocks, etc.
- Chemical containers or drums.
- Pressurized gas containers.
- 55 and 30 gallon barrels or drums.
- Items longer than 8 feet.