1. Resolutions approving plans and specifications
come in two types. Below is a description of each type and when they are appropriate to use.
- The first type is the Resolution when no special assessments are deemed necessary. This form allows the agency to advertise and receive bids. This is the most common.
- The second type is the Resolution when a special assessment has been deemed necessary. The resolution establishes the assessment district. Your division staff prepares this Resolution. There is a second Resolution that goes with this step. It is the resolution that allows the agency to advertise and receive bids.
- Your staff will enter the Resolution into Legistar. Email the Legistar number to Marsha Hacker in the Engineering Division.
2. Deadline Dates
3. Public Hearing Notices
- A mailing of the assessment, notice of the Public Hearing before the Board of Public Works, and a letter describing the project must be mailed ten (10) days prior to the BPW meeting. Fifteen (15) hard copies of the assessment and notice must be forwarded to Marsha Hacker in the Engineering Division.
- An advertisement for Public Hearing before the BPW must be placed in the City's official newspaper ten (10) days prior to the Public Hearing.
- A mailing of the assessments and notice of Public Hearing before the Common Council must be mailed ten (10) days prior to the CC Public Hearing.
- An advertisement for the Public Hearing before the Common Council must be placed in the City's official newspaper ten (10) days prior to the Public Hearing.
4. The BPW and CC Approve the Project
- When the project is approved by the BPW and the actions are entered into Legistar, the Legistar process pushes the resolution as an agenda item to the CC Agenda. Contact Marsha Hacker in the Engineering Division for fiscal note.
- Once the assessments have been approved by the CC, you need to do another mailing within ten (10) days of the Council Hearing. A copy of the approved assessments, a copy of the approved Resolution, a Residential Driveway Opening Request (if warranted), and a letter from the Finance Department needs to be mailed to each property owner. This notice informs the property owner that the assessments were approved by the BPW and CC.
- Project Manager/Engineer is now authorized to bid the project.
Please confirm that all permits, approvals & easements have been approved or applied for with applicable City, County, State and Federal agencies.