Step 2: Application Instructions
- Consult the evaluation criteria. Criteria to be utilized in the evaluation of program proposals for Senior Adult and Crisis Programs are included within the workshop packets and posted on the CDD Funding Process website.
- Follow directions. Work through the document and spreadsheets in the order outlined in these instructions. If you go out of order, the auto fills will not present the information you need when you need it.
- Be concise. Staff and citizen committees expect to review many program proposals. Avoid hyperbole and industry catch phrases that may not be understood by the general public. Print your workbook before you submit. All text boxes are locked to the sizes stated. Use bullet points. Use only the forms and space provided. Any additional documents submitted with the workbook will not be reviewed.
- Pay attention. Complete all sections as required. You may NOT be notified if you have left required sections incomplete.
- Work smart. We have designed the workbook so that agencies can break up the workbook and assign pieces to various staff. However, you will want to make sure that the information shared in all sections is consistent.
- Print and review your application before you send it. This will allow you to check for completion and for text box overruns.
- Complete and submit the application BEFORE the deadline. No late applications will be accepted. Given that this is a new application format, and a new submission process, reduce your margin for error by starting early and completing the application prior to your deadline.
- Enabling Macros after downloading the application. Please see document "Macros and Downloading" at www.cityofmadison.com/fundingopportunities. If you are struggling with some aspect of the workbook, save your work, close the workbook and then re-open it. Chances are, you forgot to enable the macros.
- Do not attempt to unlock the protected worksheets. If you are struggling with something call us. We will not give you the password, but we can be helpful.
- Fill in yellow areas. This document is designed to auto fill, particularly the budget information, to provide consistency of reported numbers throughout various sections. White boxes that have auto filled cannot be altered without going in and altering the information you first entered in yellow.
- Respect the worksheets. When printing, print by worksheet section. This will preserve the page numbering within the sections. The individual worksheets are protected, but not the workbook. This has been done to in order to maintain the integrity of the formulas.
- Text boxes. Pay attention to the listed character limits. If you disregard these limits, all of your text will not be visible when you print. Print your workbook before you submit it to check for character overages.
- System Compatibility. The application has been tested in MS Excel 2000 and MS Excel 2007.There are often issues working with an excel workbook on an Apple computer. We do not have an Apple version of the workbooks. If you have questions about system compatibility please contact us.
- Copying. You will not be able to use your mouse's right click copy and paste functions to move text from another document into the text boxes.
- It may be easiest to write your narrative response in a word document then transfer them into the worksheet.
- You may have difficulty typing or copying in bullet points. It may be easier to substitute a – (dash) or number sentence fragments to highlight points you would like to make.
- If you are copying from last cycle's application, or any other word or excel document, use "Ctrl C" to copy and "Ctrl V" to paste.
- If you are having difficulty with the copy function, try clicking outside of the textbox you are working on.
- You can copy areas of the application to a blank Excel workbook for other people to work on.
- We encourage you to test to make sure you're comfortable with the copy/paste function into a blank worksheet and the copy/paste function of yellow cells back into the application. You can only copy/paste YELLOW CELLS back into the application.
Subscribe to Email List
Subscribe to the CDD Funding Opportunities email list:
If you have questions related to the content of the application please call 266-6520 to be directed to a staff person who can answer your question.
On the Q and A section of the site we will be posting questions and answers that may be generally useful to applicants.
If you have questions related to the technical aspects of the application please call 266-6520 to be directed to a staff person who can answer your question. Most issues applicants have experienced are related to the enabling of macros within the workbook. Enable macros after downloading the application. Please see Download Instructions (PDF) for details on how to enable Macros. On the Q and A section of the site we will be posting questions and answers that may be generally useful to applicants.