Building Inspection is open to the public by appointment only.
For more on appointments and other services, please see the Building Inspection Services page.
Weights & Measures
What We Do
Weights and Measures inspectors check retail businesses for
- correctness of devices (accuracy is a part of correctness)
- product weights that are at or above the stated net weight (minus weight of packaging)
- scanner price accuracy
The program uses national standards found in handbooks 44, 130 and 133. Inspectors follow up on consumer complaints and non-compliance issues with enforcement. The program goal is to maintain fairness in the market place. We aim to protect both consumers and businesses.
Chapter 22 of City ordinance governs Weights and Measures. The City also enforces State laws. The state uses handbooks from the National Conference on Weights and Measures. These handbooks are written together with private companies.
The City of Madison licenses all the devices that it inspects and tests. New businesses should contact the Weights and Measures. We can make sure that the devices you are buying meet the standards for a legal for trade retail device.
Device Requirements »
New Businesses »
Packaging and Method of Sale »
Scanners and Price Verification »
Search BI services
Weights & Measures Resources
Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection
National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Additions to a Home - One & Two Family Residential
- Attic - alterations or conversions
- Basement - alterations or conversions
- Bathroom - alterations
- Central Air Conditioner - install
- Chickens (Raising)
- Deck - build
- Demolition of Structures
- Development Services Center
- Door Replacement
- Dwelling Units, Change Number of - 1 & 2 Family Residential
- Dwelling Units, Change Number of - Other Residential
- Electrical Work, All
- Exterior Building & Property Complaints
- Fence - install or replace
- Furnace - install
- Garage - build or replace
- Garage - demolish
- Graffiti Enforcement
- Home Heating and Cold Weather Safety
- Hot Tub, Whirlpool, Spa - install
- House (1 & 2 Family) - New Construction
- Housing Complaint
- Interior Property Complaints
- J There are no listings.
- Kitchen - alterations
- L There are no listings.
- Multi-Family Residential - New Construction
- Non-Residential - New Construction
- Occupancy Standards
- Parking Lot
- Q There are no listings.
- Rent Abatement
- Rental Property Emergency Contact
- Roofing - Reroof your house or garage
- Screened Porch
- Security Deposits and Rent Credits
- Shed - build or replace
- Shed - demolish
- Siding - replace on house or garage
- Signs & Street Graphics
- Snow Enforcement
- Snow Sidewalk Clearing
- Solar Energy System - install
- Street Occupancy
- Swimming Pool
- Tavern Capacities
- U There are no listings.
- V There are no listings.
- Water Heater - install
- Water Softener - install
- Weights & Measures, New Business
- Windows & Frames - replace
- X There are no listings.
- Y There are no listings.
- Z There are no listings.
Call us at (608) 266-4551 if you need
- an interpreter
- documents in other formats
- other accommodations
Llámanos al (608) 266-4551 si necesitas
- un intérprete
- una traducción
- documentos en otros formatos
- otras adaptaciones
Hu xovtooj rau peb tim (608) 266-4551 yog koj xav tau
- tus neeg txhais lus Hmoob
- ntawv txhais ua lus Hmoob
- dcov ntaub ntawv hloov ua lwm yam hom ntawv
- lwm yam kev pabcuam
Weights and Measures Contacts
- Chris Tourdot, (608) 246-4515
- Glenn Wood, (608) 243-0585
- Report: Abandoned Bicycle
- Report: Abandoned Vehicle on Private Property
- Report: Consumer Complaint
- Report: Exterior Housing
- Report: Graffiti
- Report: Interior Housing
- Report: Recycle Collection
- Report: Refuse Collection
- Report: Refuse & Recycling Carts
- Report: Sidewalk Concern
- Report: Sign Violation
- Report: Snow Removal
- Report: Tree Concerns
- Report: Weeds & Overgrown Vegetation
- Report: General requests
Receive start-up, retention, expansion & attraction information & guidance for your business.
Office of Business Resources »