Merchant Vending displays must be removed from the sidewalk at the end of each business day. The number of display units allowed for a Merchant Vendor is determined by the width of the storefront.
How to Apply for a Merchant Vending License
You can apply online or by mail.
- Merchant Vendor Instructions
- Insurance Requirements
- The Street Vending Coordinator will meet you at the site to discuss the use of the space.
Applying for a Merchant Vending License Online
The application for this license can be completed on the City of Madison Licenses & Permits portal.
- If you do not have one already, you must create an account on the Licenses & Permits portal to fill out the application.
- Once you login to your account go to the Licenses/Registrations section, select Apply for a License/Registration and then choose Vending - Merchant Vendor.
- Go to City of Madison Licenses & Permits portal.
Applying for a Merchant Vending License By Mail
- Complete the Application for Merchant Vending License, including diagram.
- Submit an insurance certificate (General liability insurance at a minimum of one million dollars, naming City of Madison as Additional Insured). Go to Insurance Requirements.
- Enclose payment for $250/annually (Merchant Vendor Fee).
Last Updated: 10/15/2018
Contact Meghan Blake-Horst, Street Vending Coordinator
- PH: 608-261-9171
- FAX: 608-261-6126
- EMAIL: email@example.com
- MAIL ADDRESS:
Department of Planning & Community & Economic Development
Economic Development Division
Office of Business Resources
P.O. Box 2983
Madison WI 53701-2983
- PHYSICAL ADDRESS:
215 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd, 3rd Floor
Madison WI 53703