Contractors or property owners may need to apply for a permit or license from the Engineering Division depending upon the type of work being performed.

Work activities requiring permits include:

  • Erosion Control
  • Excavating in the Right-of-Way:  When your construction requires any portion of the public right-of-way or a public storm sewer or sanitary sewer easement or greenway is excavated or disturbed. 
  • Plugging Sanitary Sewer Lateral
  • Plugging Storm Sewer Lateral
  • Restaurant Class Sewer Meter:  Installation of a separate or sub-meter for food establishments affected by Restaurant Class billing rates to accurately measure flow of water.
  • Sewer Deduct Meter:  Installation of a second meter to measure the flow of water that does not enter the sanitary sewer system and is used to calculate a reduction in sewer use charges.
  • Stormwater Management
  • Street Terrace Alterations:  The street terrace is the space that lies between the sidewalk and the curb.  Street terrace improvements that require a Street Terrace Permit involve residential driveway aprons (less than five parking stalls); sidewalk replacement (may require different permitting depending on amount of work); minor landscaping in the right of way (bricks and pavers, retaining walls, stairways) - subject to approval; installation of terrace rain garden.   

What to know before you start: 

Was this page helpful to you?