In Person Proceedings and Courtroom Expectations
At this time and until further notice there are no in-person proceedings in the Madison Municipal Court. REMEMBER, BECAUSE OF THE CURRENT COVID-19 SITUATION, YOU ENTER YOUR PLEA OF GUILTY, NO CONTEST OR NOT GUILTY WITHOUT PERSONALLY APPEARING IN COURT even if the citation/ticket indicates you must appear in court. When in-person hearings do resume, the following protocols are in place:
- You should contact the court by telephone, email, fax, or mail, before your court date if you have tested positive for Covid-19 or are experiencing any symptoms such as fever, chills, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath/chest tightness, loss of taste or smell, nasal congestion, headache, severe fatigue/exhaustion, or muscle pain. Before you will be allowed into the courtroom you will be asked if you have tested positive for Covid-19 or are experiencing any of those symptoms.
- A face mask or face covering must be worn at all times in the courtroom except for limited legal reasons approved by the court. You are responsible for bringing your own mask or face covering. If you do not have a mask or face covering and cannot afford one, you will have to contact the court before your court date so that accommodations can be made. It is also recommended to bring your own pen.
- Appropriate social distancing measures will be in place and hand sanitizer will be available.
- Any bags, purses or other containers may be subject to search before you enter the courtroom. Bags, purses or other containers should be left at your residence or secured in your vehicle.
- Hats, weapons and drinks are not allowed in the courtroom. It is not guaranteed there will be a place to store your hat or prohibited items while you attend court.
- Cell phones should be silenced prior to entering the courtroom.