Bernie's Beach Park
|Address:||901 Gilson St.|
|Hours:||4:00am - 10:00pm|
|Shoreline On:||Monona Bay|
Park HistoryA memorial at the park reads:
Bernie Holtman Park, commonly known as Bernie's Beach, was dedicated in 1981. It was previously known as South Shore Beach and, before that, Gilson Street Beach. From 1945 until his death in 1980, Bernard Julius Holtman was the owner of Bernie's Grocery, located a few blocks away. A popular place for children to stop on their way to the beach, the store was also the information hub of the neighborhood. Holtman was active in the South Side Men's Club, as a long-time member, Treasurer, and President.