The Madison Police Department is currently recruiting for an "accelerated" academy exclusively for veteran police officers (i.e., officers with three or more years of continuous and full-time law enforcement experience in patrol).
As a veteran police officer you would attend our accelerated Academy, (taught in-house by MPD Training Staff, non-residential, Monday-Friday, 8a-4p, with full pay and benefits provided) following the academy you would participate in a condensed field training program before moving seamlessly to a position in Patrol Services.
The current starting salary as of May, 2022 is $62,782. Please visit our website to learn more about our hiring process and to download an application.
- Fully funded pension - the Wisconsin Retirement System ranks #8 in the country and #25 in the world
- Qualified immunity state, Wisconsin recognizes the qualified immunity standard for law enforcement officers
- Our accelerated academy will prepare you to take the State of Wisconsin reciprocity exam
- Education incentive pay
- Tuition Reimbursement program
- City funded annual uniform allowance
- 16.5 vacations days a year to start (this will be prorated for a partial year of employment)
- Voluntary overtime opportunities are available after the completion of field training
- Rebound Program - Whether injured on or off duty, they will facilitate getting you a medical appointment within 24-48 hours, or into a specialist within 72 hours of diagnosis. This program extends to your immediate family as well.
- Our most recent Union Contact can be found here.