Refuse & Recycling Container Winter Placement Do's & Don'ts
- The best placement is on your driveway after you have cleared it of snow.
- Carts can also be placed on a cleared area of your terrace, or after your street has been plowed, place it in the gutter right next to your driveway.
- Do not leave your cart on the sidewalk or on top of a snow bank.
- Improperly placed carts will not be collected.
- Alley placement: Carts must be placed at the alley edge. Carts on private property or by the garage will not be collected.
Holiday Refuse & Recycling Collection Schedule
Refuse, Large Item & Recycling:
The Streets Division does not provide refuse, large item, recycling, brush, or leaf/yard waste collection on City holidays.
Those holidays are:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr.. Holiday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day (July 4th)
- Labor Day
- The Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
Since Christmas falls on a Sunday in 2016, the Streets Division will be closed on Monday, December 26 in observance of the holiday. Residents with a Monday collection of recycling and/or refuse should place their carts out to the curb prior to 7am on Tuesday, December 27. Residents with a Tuesday recycling and/or refuse collection are not impacted by this holiday and should place their carts out prior to 7am on Tuesday, as usual.
Since New Year's Day falls on a Sunday in 2017, the Streets Division will be closed on Monday, January 2, 2017 in observance of the holiday. Residents with a Monday collection of recycling and/or refuse should place their carts out to the curb prior to 7am on Tuesday, January 3. Residents with a Tuesday recycling and/or refuse collection are not impacted by this holiday and should place their carts out prior to 7am on Tuesday, as usual.
It is the policy of the Streets Division to provide refuse and recycling collection in those areas affected by the holiday on the next working day after the holiday.
For example, all residents of Monday's trash collection districts will have their refuse and recycling collected the Tuesday after a Monday holiday (as listed above).
During holiday weeks, the only residents impacted are the ones with their collection day scheduled for the holiday. For example, if you have a Wednesday collection day, and the Monday of a particular week is a holiday, your Wednesday collection of refuse or recycling should happen as scheduled.
Exception: The two-day Thanksgiving Holiday.
- Residents in the Thursday refuse district will have their material collected the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
- Residents in the Friday District will have their material collected on the following Monday.
For 2016, the residents of Thursday's District will have their material collected on Wednesday, November 23rd. Residents in Friday's District will have their material collected on Monday, November 28th.
Large Item Collection:
Large item collection is generally delayed during weeks with holidays. Collections can become delayed because it is difficult to collect a full work week of material in the shortened holiday weeks with the equipment and personnel we have available. We work hard to stay on schedule, but in order to keep material from sitting too long at the curb, we ask that you please hold your large items until the following non-holiday-week collection period if possible.