Signs & Street Graphics
Signs and street graphics are regulated in Madison to be sure they are safe, attractive and effective (City Ordinance Chapters 28, 31, and 33).
Discuss with City Zoning
If you want to erect a sign or banner contact the Zoning Staff before ordering it. Each zoning district has its own standards for the number, size, height, location, type, illumination and other aspects of street graphics. Zoning staff can help you determine what is allowed at your site.
Who to Contact
Zoning at Building Permits: (608) 266-4551.
Where to Go
215 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd 017
Madison, WI 53703
Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:30 am – 4:30 pm
Apply for Permit
Street graphics are evaluated on these criteria:
- compatibility with their surroundings
- appropriateness to the type of activity
- expression of the identity of the proprietor
- design and position for traffic safety
- use as an accessory to land and improvements
If the permit is approved, the permit will be issued once the fee is paid.