North Star Park
|Address:||502 N. Star Dr.|
|Hours:||4:00am - 10:00pm|
Park DetailsThe North Star Park Master Plan was approved in July 2018.
Alternate Addresses: 452 North Star Drive, 609 Apollo Way
North Star Dog Park: 439 Milky Way
At this Park
Madison Parks ranks #1 in the nation for the number of basketball hoops per resident, come check out the hoops in your neighborhood! Most of the basketball courts are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you are planning a new league or tournament see Athletic Field Reservations.View all Basketball Courts
North Star Park - Basketball CourtSurface: Asphalt
Number of Courts: 1 full
Dog Off-Leash Park
NEW WEBSITE FEATURE
Scroll to see the green OPEN or red CLOSED status of your favorite off-leash dog park.
QUANN DOG PARK NEWS
- Join Madison Parks Foundation for Barks in Parks: Sculpture Unveiling on Sunday, April 30
- Goodman Pool is hosting the All-City Swim from Thursday, July 27 – Sunday, July 30; expect heavy traffic, lots of people & very limited to no parking.
In partnership with Dane County Parks, a Dog Permit is NOT required on the following days:
- Saturday - Sunday, June 3-4, 2023
Madison Parks offers 9 fenced, off-leash dog park areas with three locations, Odana School, Warner and Sycamore, providing a separate small-dog fenced area. A Dog Permit is required.
Daily $8 Annual $43 Annual Senior (65+) & Disabled $20 Annual Military/Veteran (New!) $20 Replacement $20
2024 permit is available for purchase starting Nov. 1, 2023.
- REQUIRED A Dog Permit is required
- A permit is required in order to bring your dog to any park, off-leash and on-leash, where a dog is allowed. See Dog Free Park for exceptions.
- The dog permit is part of the Cooperative Dog Park Program and also valid for use in Dane County Parks, City of Sun Prairie parks, and City of Middleton parks.
- Purchase a daily or annual permit ONLINE or by calling (608)266-4711.
- The 2023 Dog Permit will be available for purchase starting Nov. 1 and is valid through December 31. 2023.
- REQUIRED A dog license is required for ALL visiting dogs. City of Madison residents may purchase through Madison Treasury Office.
- Dogs visiting from other areas are always welcome with proper licenses and/or vaccinations from your town/municipality. Be prepared to show proof if asked by a Park Ranger.
- A dog license is ONLY available after a rabies vaccination is administered by a veterinarian within 30 days after the dog reaches 4 months of age. Dogs under 5 months of age or without proper vaccinations, are therefore not licensed and are PROHIBITED.
- REQUIRED Dogs must remain on a leash to/from your vehicle to the inside of the dog park area.
- PROHIBITED AREAS Dogs are not allowed in any Dog Free Park, playgrounds, designated beaches, athletic fields, conservation parks, golf courses (in season), or in any park building. During the winter dogs are not permitted on groomed cross-country ski trails. LEARN MORE
- Bring Your Own Water Sharing water is not recommended and can lead to parasites and disease transmission. DO NOT LEAVE WATER OR WATER BOWLS.
WARNER PARK LAGOON Unlike the water at public beaches, the water in the lagoon at Warner Park is not tested by Public Health Madison & Dane County. Always check the conditions before letting your dog in the water. LEARN MORE
On July 13, 2016 the Board of Park Commissioners approved the Policy and Guidelines for Off-Leash Dog Park Service Area Standards within the Madison Park System with Attachment A. The Policy is intended to guide the Parks Division in planning new off-leash dog park (exercise) areas and to set standards for responding to requests for the creation of off-leash dog park (exercise) areas in the Madison Parks system. View all Dog Off-Leash Parks
North Star Dog ParkLocation: 439 Milky Way
Bag Dispenser: Yes
Notes: 2 acres, limited off-street parking
Madison Parks are a unique blend of active recreation and passive recreation spaces. Open Fields are just that - open, not pre-designed as a softball diamond, or football field. These open fields are available in these parks to spark your imagination, play a game of tag, or follow the leader - or anything you can think of! Enjoy your parks!View all Open Fields
North Star Park - Open Field Games
With more than 175 playgrounds throughout Madison, you are never too far from a playground. According to the Trust for Public Land, Madison ranks #1 in the nation for the number of playgrounds available. The traditional swings and slides are always an option, as are new play elements and fully accessible playgrounds.
PLAYGROUNDS FOR EVERYONE
Through the Madison Parks Foundation initiative, Madison Parks offers all-inclusive playgrounds in Brittingham Park and Elver Park, opening in 2019. The Foundation has a goal of 5 fully accessible playgrounds.
PLAYGROUND REPLACEMENTS: HOW AND WHENView all Playgrounds
Madison Parks is responsible for maintaining more than 175 playgrounds and began a system-wide replacement initiative in 2013. With current staff and funding resources, replacements are scheduled to continue through 2033. Playgrounds are routinely inspected to assess the equipment's conditions and repair any safety concerns. Based on the age of the equipment and current conditions, each is given an audit score. The number of playgrounds replaced each year is based on budget allocations, staffing resources, and using the current playground audit score for prioritization.
REPLACEMENT PROCESS: NEIGHBORHOOD INPUT
At the start of the replacement process, notices are sent to the District Alder, neighborhood association representatives, and surrounding residential addresses. Information is also posted to the project website. Generally, two public meetings are held to review surfacing and equipment options and make final selections.
If you have questions about a specific playground or see something broken, please let us know.
North Star Park - Playground