Off-Leash Dog Park News
- Odana School parking lot, temporary access closure: City of Madison Engineering is expected to close the parking lot entrance sometime this fall, weather permitting. This date is subject to change. As most park users know, there is a long-standing groundwater runoff issue along the entrance, sidewalk and into the street at Odana School Dog Park parking lot which becomes an icy hazard during the colder months. The work is anticipated to last several days and the parking lot entrance will be closed.
- New website feature: Scroll to see the green OPEN or red CLOSED status of your favorite off-leash dog park.
Madison Parks offers 9 fenced, off-leash dog park areas with three locations, Odana School, Warner and Sycamore, providing a separate small-dog fenced area.
|Annual Senior (65+) & Disabled
|Annual Military/Veteran (New!)
- 2023 permit is valid through December 31, 2023.
- 2024 permit is available for purchase starting Nov. 1, 2023 and is valid from the time of purchase through December 31, 2024.
- REQUIRED A daily or annual Dog Permit is required.
- The 2023 permit is valid through December 31, 2023.
- The 2024 permit is available for purchase starting November 1 and is valid from the time of purchase through December 31, 2024.
- A permit is required in order to bring your dog to any park, off-leash and on-leash, where a dog is allowed. See Dog Free Park for exceptions.
- The dog permit is part of the Cooperative Dog Park Program and also valid for use in Dane County Parks, City of Sun Prairie parks, and City of Middleton parks.
- Purchase a daily or annual permit ONLINE or by calling (608)266-4711.
- REQUIRED A dog license is required for ALL visiting dogs. City of Madison residents may purchase through Madison Treasury Office.
- Dogs visiting from other areas are always welcome with proper licenses and/or vaccinations from your town/municipality. Be prepared to show proof if asked by a Park Ranger.
- A dog license is ONLY available after a rabies vaccination is administered by a veterinarian within 30 days after the dog reaches 4 months of age. Dogs under 5 months of age or without proper vaccinations, are therefore not licensed and are PROHIBITED.
- REQUIRED Dogs must remain on a leash to/from your vehicle to the inside of the dog park area.
- PROHIBITED AREAS
- Dogs are not allowed in any conservation park, near playgrounds, designated beaches, athletic fields, in or near park shelters, and a few other notable locations. See Dog Free Parks for a complete list of locations.
- During the winter dogs are not permitted on designated cross-country ski trails. See Cross-Country Skiing for locations.
- Bring Your Own Water Sharing water is not recommended and can lead to parasites and disease transmission. DO NOT LEAVE WATER OR WATER BOWLS.
WARNER PARK LAGOON
Unlike the water at public beaches, the water in the lagoon at Warner Park is not tested by Public Health Madison & Dane County. Always check the conditions before letting your dog in the water. LEARN MORE
On July 13, 2016 the Board of Park Commissioners
approved the Policy and Guidelines for Off-Leash Dog Park Service Area Standards within the Madison Park System
with Attachment A
. The Policy is intended to guide the Parks Division in planning new off-leash dog park (exercise) areas and to set standards for responding to requests for the creation of off-leash dog park (exercise) areas in the Madison Parks system.
View all Dog Off-Leash Parks
Odana School Park
Location: 678 S. Segoe Rd.
Bag Dispenser: Yes
Notes: 2.8 acres