|Address:||132 Milky Way|
|Hours:||4:00am - 10:00pm|
Park DetailsThe Galaxy Park Master Plan was approved in June 2018.
At this Park
Dog Free Park
Leashed and licensed dogs are allowed in most Madison parks, but NOT all. There are a few notable exceptions listed and mapped on this page. Dog Free Parks allow visitors to enjoy a space to recreate or relax without the presence of dogs.NOTE: If you are bringing your leashed and licensed dog to a park that allows dogs -- Dogs must be on a leash that is no more than 6 feet long, non-retractable, and held by a person at all times. See MGO 8.19 for more information.
In early 2020 Madison Common Council approved the revised ordinance (MGO 8.19) allowing dogs, on-leash in most Madison Parks. The following locations prohibit dogs and are approved by the Board of Park Commissioners (initial file 59475) and as such, locations can and may change as we continue to implement the policy.
Dogs in Parks Status Designation
All Madison parks have either a dog-friendly or dog-free designation. To request a change in the current dog designation, or request for the current designation to remain as is, please complete and submit the below form. Request forms submitted on or before October 15 will be reviewed at the November Board of Park Commissioners meeting. Online Dogs in Parks Status Designation
In addition, a number of locations continue to prohibit dogs.
- Conservation parks
- Burial mounds
- City of Madison Golf Courses (during the golf season)
- Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- Playgrounds and areas within 20 feet of a playground surface
- Splash parks, fenced areas(s) surrounding a splash park, and areas within 20 feet of the splash park surface
- Goodman Pool and Breese Stevens Field (except for special events where dogs are specifically invited)
- Programmed sports fields and facilities that are enclosed or substantially enclosed by a fence, whether in use or not
- Programmed, non-fenced sports fields such as soccer, ultimate fields or softball/baseball diamonds while they are in use for programmed activities
- Inside of shelters or other buildings
- Groomed cross-country ski trails
- In the water or on the beach at designated beach locations
- Park special events except where the sponsor has requested to allow dogs, with the Park Superintendent's approval
Galaxy Park - Dog Free ParkLocation: 132 Milky Way
Picnic shelters are smaller, open-air structures that provide a little shade and typically some seating. They do not provide protection from severe weather, such as lightning. A picnic shelter may be reserved or used on a first-come, first-served basis if not previously reserved.
- See SHELTER PRICES for 2023 rates.
- BEFORE reserving, be sure to see Parks Projects. We are continually improving our park system and some of these improvements may impact a nearby shelter.
- RESERVE Three Ways
- Calling (608)266-4711
- In-person at the Parks administration office
- Full payment is due at the time of processing your reservation, along with any required permits.
- Credit card is the only accepted method of payment.
- Need to CANCEL? All reservations are subject to our standard cancellation policy.
- Madison Parks does not guarantee absolute privacy to any group. Your reservation will reserve only the facility you are using, not the entire park or other facilities within the park. If you are interested in reserving the entire park, please visit Special Events.
- Alcohol is permitted in most Madison Parks, as long as there is no glass. A handful of parks are alcohol-free and require a permit to bring alcohol. You must have a reservation to obtain an alcohol permit.
- All picnic shelters are open year-round, however, if the picnic shelter has restrooms, these are open seasonally and closed for the winter typically October - April.
- In the event of severe weather, picnic shelters are not lightening protection areas. Please seek an alternative location.
- Firearms or weapons are not permitted at any of the shelters. Violators may be considered trespassers and may be subject to forfeiture or arrest.
- Park improvements and/or construction may be underway during the time of your reservation. The City of Madison Parks Division makes every attempt to schedule around events and shelter reservations whenever possible, however, this is not a guarantee. Please keep in mind improvements to parks and infrastructure continues throughout the year. Please see Park Projects for park improvement that may impact a nearby shelter.
Galaxy Park Picnic ShelterRestrooms: No
With more than 175 playgrounds throughout Madison, you are never too far from a playground. According to the Trust for Public Land, Madison ranks #1 in the nation for the number of playgrounds available. The traditional swings and slides are always an option, as are new play elements and fully accessible playgrounds.
PLAYGROUNDS FOR EVERYONE
Through the Madison Parks Foundation initiative, Madison Parks offers all-inclusive playgrounds in Brittingham Park and Elver Park, opening in 2019. The Foundation has a goal of 5 fully accessible playgrounds.
PLAYGROUND REPLACEMENTS: HOW AND WHENView all Playgrounds
Madison Parks is responsible for maintaining more than 175 playgrounds and began a system-wide replacement initiative in 2013. With current staff and funding resources, replacements are scheduled to continue through 2033. Playgrounds are routinely inspected to assess the equipment's conditions and repair any safety concerns. Based on the age of the equipment and current conditions, each is given an audit score. The number of playgrounds replaced each year is based on budget allocations, staffing resources, and using the current playground audit score for prioritization.
REPLACEMENT PROCESS: NEIGHBORHOOD INPUT
At the start of the replacement process, notices are sent to the District Alder, neighborhood association representatives, and surrounding residential addresses. Information is also posted to the project website. Generally, two public meetings are held to review surfacing and equipment options and make final selections.
If you have questions about a specific playground or see something broken, please let us know.
Galaxy Park - Playground