Experience winter in Madison Parks like never before with snowshoeing! This silent sport is a fantastic way to explore many of our parks during the winter months and is easy to learn.
- DO snowshoe anywhere in a general park with good snow cover, except on a cross-country ski trail.
- DO snowshoe at Door Creek Park on marked trails - see *new* MAP.
- DO snowshoe at Elver Park on the marked trail - see MAP.
- DO snowshoe at Yahara Hills on the marked trails - see MAP.
- DO snowshoe on a trail in any conservation park, except those designated for cross-country skiing (Cherokee Marsh South, Owen, and Turville Point)
- DO snowshoe with sufficient snow (typically 4" or more).
- DON'T snowshoe off-trail in a conservation park.
- Snowshoeing, hiking, and skiing off-trail can destroy snow tunnels used by native small rodents (deer mice, shrews) by the trampling effect. These small mammals are an important part of the wetland and grassland ecology in our conservation parks. Destruction of these tunnel networks makes small mammals more vulnerable to predation.
- When in doubt, it's always best to stay on a trail.
- Our trail systems are designed to facilitate controlled public access while protecting environmentally sensitive areas and providing quiet refuge for wildlife away from people. Disruption of wildlife by human activity during the winter puts additional stress on them during a challenging time for their survival.
Cherokee Marsh Conservation Park - Mendota - SnowshoeingPark: Cherokee Marsh Conservation Park - Mendota
Cherokee Marsh Conservation Park - North - SnowshoeingPark: Cherokee Marsh Conservation Park - North
Door Creek Park - SnowshoeingPark: Door Creek Park
Edna Taylor Conservation Park - SnowshoeingPark: Edna Taylor Conservation Park
Elvehjem Sanctuary - SnowshoeingPark: Elvehjem Sanctuary
Elver Park - SnowshoeingPark: Elver Park
Garner Park - SnowshoeingPark: Garner Park
Heritage Prairie - SnowshoeingPark: Heritage Prairie
Heritage Sanctuary - SnowshoeingPark: Heritage Sanctuary
Hoyt Park - SnowshoeingPark: Hoyt Park
Indian Springs Park - SnowshoeingPark: Indian Springs Park
Knollwood Conservation Park - SnowshoeingPark: Knollwood Conservation Park
Mineral Point Park - SnowshoeingPark: Mineral Point Park
Prairie Ridge Conservation Park - SnowshoeingPark: Prairie Ridge Conservation Park