Meeting and Event Highlights for the Week of April 10, 2023posted
Meeting and Event Highlights for the Week of April 10, 2023
Lake Monona Waterfront Ad Hoc Committee: The Lake Monona Waterfront Ad Hoc Committee will be held in person on April 10, 2023 at 6:00pm. Agenda items include a presentation on the Urban Assets and EQT by Design outreach report and a discussion to follow.
Public Safety Review Committee: The Public Safety Review Committee will be held in virtual format on April 12, 2023 at 5:00pm. Agenda items includes a report from the Madison Police Department including information on recent gun violence and an update on the strategic plan.
· Madison Parks Earth Day Challenge, Saturday, April 22, 2023: Join Madison Parks for this year's Earth Day Challenge and volunteer to help clean up your neighborhood park on Saturday, April 22! For more than 20 years, Madison Parks has honored Earth Day by recruiting volunteers for the Earth Day Challenge. This year, Madison Parks is seeking more than 900 volunteers at 60+ parks to assist with trash pickup, raking, weeding, removing sticks, and more. All ages are welcome to participate. Advanced registration is required for anyone 10 years and older. REGISTER ONLINE TODAY!
- Diversity in Construction Career Fair, April 11, 2023: WRTP BIG STEP Madison is holding our Diversity in Construction Career Fair on April 11th, 2023 from 11am to 3pm! Please join us at the Madison Labor Temple, located at 1602 S. Park St., Madison, WI 53715 for information about careers in construction. We have over 25 trades and contractors ready to speak to you about careers in construction!
Register today and please share with your ListServs. We hope to see you there!
- Law Enforcement Recruitment Fair, Wednesday, April 12, 2023: Area agencies are always searching for compassionate people who are considering a career in law enforcement. Officers will be on hand to answer any questions you may have about their profession and community policing.
- WPCRC Family Fun Night, Friday, April 14, 2023: WPCRC Family Fun Nights are in partnership with Madison School Community Recreation and offers local families a wide selection of fun activities. Sign your family up today!
- FREE HUD-APPROVED HOMEBUYER EDUCATION CLASS (IN PERSON) – SATURDAY APRIL 15TH Now SATURDAY, APRIL 22ND: The City of Madison, in partnership with the Home Buyers Round Table of Dane County and Consumer Credit Counseling Service, want to share with you our next HUD Approved Homebuyer Education class of 2023 for the month of April! 2023 class schedule is up and you can find it here: https://homebuyersroundtable.org/events/list/?tribe-bar-search=education (there is a class every month this year, virtual and online)!
DESCRIPTION: Take the first step to owning a home, and join us in this Home Buyer Education Workshop. This FREE HUD Approved Homebuyer Education workshop takes place in-person at the Villager Mall on Park St, Atrium Entrance (2300 S Park St.) on Saturday, April 15th from 8:30am-3:30pm! Lunch will be provided.
Any questions contact Maria Davila-Martinez (email@example.com) or by phone at 608-266-6557.
- Madison Metro Recruiting: Madison Metro is recruiting for Metro Transit Ride Guides to be stationed at busy bus stop areas, employment centers, and various community centers to point people in the direction of the most appropriate stop, hand out schedule materials, and teach people how to ride the bus. On-the-job training will be provided during first week of employment. This is an opportunity that is open for high schoolers and young adults ages 18 and up as well.
- Monona Terrace Announces Concerts on the Rooftop Season: Monona Terrace is excited to announce its free summer Concerts on the Rooftop lineup!
- City of Madison Honored with Growth Award from the Arbor Day Foundation: The City of Madison has been recognized by the Arbor Day Foundation as a Tree City USA and we received a Growth Award.
- City of Madison Announces 2023-24 Youth Poet Laureate Opportunity: The City of Madison Arts Commission, and Madison Poet Laureate Angela Trudell Vasquez are pleased to announce the second annual call for a Madison Youth Poet Laureate.
- Provisional Voters: Make Sure Your Ballot Gets Counted: Provisional voters have until 4:00pm Friday, Apr. 7, to provide the City of Madison Clerk’s Office with their photo identification.
- Spring Yard Waste Set-Out Dates Now Available; Collection Begins Week of April 16, 2023: The Streets Division’s springtime yard waste collection begins the week of April 16, 2023 for certain neighborhoods. All residents will receive two collection opportunities this spring.
- Library Takeover Event Gives Parents the Opportunity to Network, Share and Connect: MADISON, WI – Parents of school-aged kids are invited to bring their little ones and engage in conversation with other local parents at Pinney Library on Friday, April 21 from 5:30-7:30PM.
- Street Closure--Anderson Street: Starting Monday, April 10, Anderson Street will be fully closed to traffic just east of Wright Street for the construction of a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) station (see attached map).
- Sound the Alarm. Save a Life: The American Red Cross is making homes fire resistant through the Red Cross Home Fire Preparedness Campaign. At no cost, you can have the Red Cross visit your home and demonstrate some simple changes that will help protect your family against fires including:
o Free smoke alarm installation if no working smoke alarms are present in your home
o Guidance in developing a Family Disaster Plan
o Valuable emergency preparedness tips and information
Visit the Red Cross webpage to learn more and to setup your free appointment.
· Stormwater, Parks, Land Use and more at West Area Open House on May 10!: The West Area Plan team will host an Open House on May 10 at Lussier Community Education Center from 6:30-8:00 p.m. 55 S. Gammon Road. Individuals, families and other community members encouraged to drop in to hear short City agency presentations at 6:45 p.m. on projects spanning land use planning, transportation, stormwater management, water quality protection, parks and open space and more. Residents will then have the chance to talk with staff to learn more including how these projects may affect them and how they can be involved. FOOD and INTERPRETATION for SPANISH and ARABIC languages. Visit the West Area Plan webpage to learn more, and to sign up for the email list to receive regular West Area Plan updates.
· Please update your Neighborhood Association profile on the City website by April 30: If your organization has been formally recognized, it will be listed with a descriptive profile that neighbors, businesses, community based organizations, and educational institutions use to find out about your group. Please find your group on our City website, review the information, and update only the information that needs to be changed here. If you have any questions, please send an email to Neighborhoods@cityofmadison.com.