The Plan Commission makes recommendations to the Common Council on various plans, including the Comprehensive Plan, neighborhood development plans, and neighborhood, corridor, and special area plans (click here to be taken to the Adopted Plans page). Among the Plan Commission's responsibilities is reviewing and making recommendations to the Common Council on any sale or lease of City-owned land, the annexation of land to the City, and zoning map and text amendments (rezonings). The subdivision of land within City limits or within three miles of City limits is also reviewed by the Plan Commission. It also has final approval authority over conditional use permits and the demolition of any principal building in the City.
The Plan Commission meets on the following days in 2022:
Plan Commission Resources
- Video Recordings of Past Meetings
- Development Services Center - Site with information related to the City's Development Review process including: Conditional Uses, Demolition Permits, Rezonings, Subdivisions, Annexation of Land, Zoning Variances, Landmarks & Construction in Historic Districts, and Urban Design Approvals.
- Development Review Standards - Guide containing excerpts from the Zoning Code (MGO, Section 28) related to Zoning Map Amendments (i.e. Rezonings), Zoning Text Amendments, Conditional Uses, Demolitions, Zoning Variances, Planned Development Districts (PDs), and Lakefront Development.
- Plan Commission Policies and Procedures Manual
- Guide to Participating in the Development Process (Note: Guide written in 2005)
- Overview of Commission and Common Council Involvement in Development Decisions - A quick guide to who makes the Final Action versus gives an Advisory Recommendation for the various development decisions.
- The Legislative Information Center (Legistar) - The City's public record where you can find info about legislation, agendas or meeting minutes for Committees & Commissions, submitted files related to development projects, etc.
- Land Use Application - For all Conditional Use, Demolition Permit, and Rezoning request submittals
- Land Use Application Checklist & Supplemental Submital Requirements
- Subdivision Application - For all Subdivision Plats and Land Divisions/Certified Survey Maps (CSMs)
SUBMITTAL AND MEETING SCHEDULES
- Plan Commission & Urban Design Commission - For all Land Use, Subdivision, and Urban Design Commission Applications.
MADISON GENERAL ORDINANCE SECTIONS
- Chapter 28 - The Zoning Code - Specifies how and for what purpose each parcel of private real estate may be used. Includes the definitions of and associated regulations of the City's various land use districts; proceedures and approval standards associated with several types of land use development requests (Conditional Uses, Demolitions, Rezonings, etc.), etc.
- Chapter 16 - General Planning - Ordinance outlining the Plan Commission's composition, powers and duties; Land Subdivision Regulations (including Extraterritorial reviews); Plats & Certified Surveys (CSMs); and Condominium Instrument reviews.
- Development Assistance Team (DAT) - A weekly meeting of representatives from the various city agencies involved in the Development Review process to give site plan-related feedback about development projects.