Boat Launch News
Starting October 1, we will begin removing fishing piers. Boat landing piers will be removed starting at the end of October keeping one pier at each of the major landings until late November, depending on the weather. They are removed in no particular order and will be done as weather, equipment and staff resources are available. You will still be able to access the water, but piers and docks may not be available.
ACCESSING THE LAKES
A daily or annual permit is required year-round at designated sites to launch a motorboat, sailboat, iceboat, canoe, kayak, or ATV (see locations below). Piers are available from spring through fall. Installation and removal are dependent on the weather and lake conditions.
LAKE ACCESS PERMIT (Ordinance 8.215): See Purchase Permit
- A daily or annual permit is required year-round to launch a motorboat, sailboat, iceboat, canoe, kayak, or ATV.
- Purchase permit ONLINE or by calling during regular office hours. Onsite kiosks are not available.
- The permit is valid for the issue year through March 31 of the following year.
- Permits for the following year may be purchased starting November 1 of the previous year.
- The permit should be displayed on the inside driver's side windshield.
- The permit is valid at designated launch sites throughout Dane County. MAP
DESIGNATED CITY OF MADISON LAUNCH LOCATIONS BY LAKE
- LAKE MONONA: Law, Olbrich, Olin
- LAKE MENDOTA: Marshall, Spring Harbor, Tenney, Warner
|Annual - Dane County Resident
|Annual - Non-Resident
|Annual - Dane County Senior (65+) & Disabled
|Annual - Non-Res Senior (65+) & Disabled
2024 permit is available Nov. 1 and is valid from the time of purchase through March 31, 2025.
2023 permit is valid through March 31, 2024.
TENNEY LOCKS NOTICE updated 04/06/2023
The Tenney Locks, managed by Dane County Land & Water, is anticipated to open on Thursday, April 27, 2023. See DCLW