Launch your watercraft or ATV!
You haven't seen Madison until you've seen it from a lake. As a city built on an isthmus, Madison is surrounded by over 15,000 acres of sparkling lakes. A daily or annual Lake Access Permit is required year-round for launching a motorboat, sailboat, iceboat, canoe, kayak, or ATV from a designated lake access parking lot (see below). Piers are in place early-mid spring through fall.
FREE LAKE ACCESS DAY - all day, no permit needed on Saturday, June 22 LEARN MORE
LAKE ACCESS PERMIT (Ordinance 8.215):
• A daily or annual Lake Access Permit is required year-round for launching a motorboat, sailboat, iceboat, canoe, kayak, or ATV from a designated lake access parking lot.
• The permit is valid for the issue year through March 31 of the following year at designated launch sites in Madison, Monona and Dane County (see brochure map).
• The permit should be displayed on the inside driver's side windshield
DESIGNATED CITY OF MADISON LAUNCH LOCATIONS BY LAKE
• Spring Harbor
LAUNCH AREA PARKING RULES AND TIPS (Ordinance 8.16):
- Long stalls are for parking vehicles with trailers only.
- Regular-size stalls are for parking vehicles with no trailer only.
- Parking on the grass is prohibited.
- When the launch parking lot is full, you must find an alternative launch site
- Violators are subject to a citation.
2019 OLIN PARK BOAT LAUNCH CLOSURE NOTICE:
View all Boat Launches
- Ironman 70.3: Sunday, June 9 (Limited Access)
- Shake the Lake: Friday, June 21 - Sunday, June 30 (CLOSED)
- Reebok Fitbarge: Tuesday, July 23 and Wednesday, August 7 (Limited Access)
- CrossFit Games: Thursday, August 1 - Sunday, August 4 (CLOSED)
- Great Taste of the Midwest: Saturday, August 10 (CLOSED)
Law Park - Boat Launch
Lake Access Permit Required: Yes
Notes: Parking is very limited for this location with no trailer parking available.