2021 – 2023
John Nolen Drive
The Roadway Geometry will be up for approval from the Transportation Commission (June 7, 2023) Board of Public Works (June 21, 2023) and Common Council (July 11, 2023). This will give the project team direction on a preferred alternative to work towards final plans and details for bidding in late 2024 and construction in 2025.
John Nolen Drive Geometry Plan
Information on how to attend the meetings virtually can be found here:https://www.cityofmadison.com/city-hall/committees/meeting-schedule
The John Nolen Drive Reconstruction project will encompass a number of infrastructure design improvements along the causeway between East Olin Avenue and Broom Street. The project is broken into the following three segments:
- East Lakeside Street to North Shore Drive
- East Olin Avenue to East Lakeside Street
- Broom Street Intersection
Phase One of the project, which includes the segment from East Lakeside Street to North Shore Drive has been selected for funding and is expected to be constructed in 2025 or 2026. Phase Two includes the segment from East Olin Avenue to East Lakeside Street is currently in design and will be fully designed with construction occurring when funding is available. The Broom Street Intersection is currently being analyzed for potential alternatives to ensure compatibility with improvements to the North Shore Drive intersection.
A number of exciting improvements are being considered, including:
- Reconstruction of six bridges along the causeway
- Lane configuration and cross section changes
- Expansion of the existing path to separate bike path and pedestrian facilities
- Shoreline reconstruction along Lake Monona
- Pedestrian and bike underpass between North Shore Drive and Broom Street
- Reconstruction of storm sewer
- Traffic signals and street lighting
- Others to be determined through public involvement process
Listen to other John Nolen Drive Podcast Episodes:
Everyday Engineering Podcast Episode: Construction Nuts and Bolts: Future John Nolen Drive
Everyday Engineering Podcast Episode: Thank you, John Nolen!
This project will be planned and designed in coordination with the ongoing with the Monona Waterfront Design Challenge
The process began in 2021 and is expected to run through 2026. It will include analysis of existing conditions, feasibility studies, and a robust community engagement process to inform preliminary and final designs.
- Preliminary Design
- Final Design
Public involvement is a central element to the planning process for this project. The public involvement process will utilize a range of tools including public meetings and workshops, small group meetings, surveys, event tabling and intercept interviews, and other effective methods proven to ensure the final designs are informed by the community.
Public Information Meetings
There are no upcoming events scheduled.
City Process Meetings
- April 12, 2023 Transporation Commission PowerPoint Presentation pdf pdf
- April 12, 2023 Transportation Comission Design Alternatives pdf pdf
Presentation from the May 24, 2023 Transportation Commission:
Roadway Geometry Approval/Preferred Alternative: June 7, 2023
Board of Public Works
Roadway Geometry Approval/Preferred Alternative: July 11, 2023
Final design approval: Information will be posted when available. Estimated Spring 2024