The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 4/22/2019 through 6:00 a. m. on 4/23/2019, MPD received 474 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 474 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (80), East (79), Midtown (88), North (67), South (55), West (60), and Other (45). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
***Priorities East due to explosion/fire on Vernon Ave. from 3:30 p.m. to 4:25 p.m.
1) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 5:06 a.m. Officers responded to a residence on Jacobson Ave for a report of a domestic disturbance. The suspect (24-year-old WM) and the victim (27-year-old WF) got into an argument and the suspect battered the victim before fleeing the scene. Officers responded and conveyed the victim to a local hospital for treatment for her injuries. A Dane County Sheriff's Office K9 performed a track, locating the suspect who was taken into custody in the 700 block of N Thompson Dr. The suspect was taken to the jail for numerous charges including Domestic Strangulation, Recklessly Endangering Safety, Endangering Safety by Use of a Dangerous Weapon, Felon in Possession of a Firearm, Disorderly Conduct While Armed, and a parole violation. Investigation continuing.
2) MIDTOWN – Stolen Auto – 5:55 a.m. Officers responded to Kendall Ave to take a report of a stolen auto. The victim/reporting party (29-year-old WM) advised that he parked his father's vehicle outside with the keys in it and it discovered missing this morning. Investigation continuing.
3) Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 6:37 a.m. Officers responded to Jackson Quarry Ln for a report of a missing juvenile (15-year-old AAM) as a runaway. When the juvenile's mother learned that he was at a friend's house on Schroeder Rd on Sunday, the juvenile jumped off a balcony and ran away. Investigation continuing.
4) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 7:46 a.m. Officers responded to the 7900 block of Tree Ln for a disturbance. The suspect, (17-year-old AAM) caused damaged to the apartment and was in a physical altercation with a 44-year-old AAF victim before fleeing. There is probable cause for domestic related charges of Criminal Damage to Property and Disorderly Conduct. Investigation continuing.
5) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 12:34 p.m. Officers responded to the 6000 block of Hammersley Rd. for a violation of restraining order. The victim (25-year-old UF) stated the suspect (27-year-old UM) has been sending her death threats via text. Officers were unable to locate the suspect at this time. Probable Cause exists for charges of domestic related charges of Disorderly Conduct, Misuse of Telephone, and felony Bail Jumping. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Assist MFD – 3:03 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 900 block of Vernon Ave. with MFD for an explosion/structure fire. MPD officers shut down traffic and assisted with scene security as MFD addressed the fire. Nobody was inside the apartment in question and no injuries were reported. Investigation continuing. MFD has the lead.
7) EAST: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 4:23 p.m. Officers were dispatched to 5000 block of Buckeye Rd. for a report of a runaway juvenile. Mother (36-year-old WF) reported her son (15-year-old WM) informed her this morning that he would not return home after school. An Attempt-to-Locate (ATL) was done and the juvenile was entered as missing in the appropriate databases. The juvenile was subsequently located at his grandparent's house and his missing status has been cancelled.
8) WEST: Death Investigation – 5:25 p.m. Officers were dispatched to 2900 block of McKenna Blvd reference a check welfare. Officers arrived on scene and MFD assisted with forcing entry. The subject (86-year-old MW) was located and subsequently transported to a local hospital where he ultimately passed away. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Missing/Runaway – 6:05 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 2700 block of E. Washington Ave. after a foster parent (39-year-old AAF) reported her foster child (15-year-old AAF) as missing. No medical, mental health, or suicidal concerns were noted. Attempt-to-Locate (ATL) aired and the juvenile was entered as missing in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: OMVWI Arrest/Intoxicated Driver – 6:33 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 4100 block of Lien Rd. reference a hit-and-run. Witnesses provided officers with suspect (40-year-old WF) information and advised she was intoxicated. Officers respond to the suspect's address where the suspect was observed to be intoxicated. Probable cause was subsequently developed and the suspect was arrested for a 5th Offense OWI. Investigation continuing.
11) CENTRAL: OMVWI Arrest/Intoxicated Driver – 2:11 a.m. Officers were dispatched to the intersection of E. Washington Ave at N. Fourth St for a traffic crash. Officers checked the area and found the suspect (30-year-old HM) three blocks away. The suspect admitted to driving the vehicle and was arrested for 2nd Offense OMVWI and taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Safety Hazard – 2:26 a.m. Officers responded to W Mifflin St after a tree fell and struck an unoccupied vehicle. Officers secured the scene and MG&E responded for the power and electrical concerns.
13) CENTRAL: Attempt-to-Locate Person – 3:16 a.m. Officers responded to State St in an attempt to locate a suspect (30-year-old WM) after it was learned he may be in the area, which violates rules of his supervision. Officers checked the area and did not locate the suspect at this time. Investigation continuing.