The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:00 a.m. on 08/05/2018 through 5:00 a.m. on 08/06/2018, MPD received 355 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 355 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (81), East (66), Midtown (45), North (53), South (22), West (59), and Other (29). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 1:13pm-2:59pm due to calls for service.
**Priority calls only from 12am-12:40am due to calls for service.
1) CITY-WIDE: Mutual Aid – 6:16 a.m. Officers responded to assist Monona PD with a shots fired call. MPD assisted with traffic control and securing a perimeter. Monona PD has the lead on this investigation. Investigation continuing.
2) EAST: Mutual Aid – 12:48 p.m. Officers responded to assist the Sheriff's Office with a crash with injuries on Hwy 12 and CTH AB. The crash involved three vehicles and resulted in one death (60-year-old WM). The Sheriff's Office has the lead on this crash investigation. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Drug Incident/Overdose – 4:55 p.m. Officers responded to E. Washington Ave for a subject (29-year-old WF) experiencing an overdose. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital and subsequently to jail on charges of possession of heroin/drug paraphernalia. Investigation continuing.
4) MIDTOWN: Information/Child Abuse – 6:22 p.m. Officers responded to a report that a 5-year-old AAM was being abused. The child did not have any visible injuries. There were conflicting stories provided. No charges have been substantiated at this time. Child Protective Services notified. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Information/Sexual Assault – 7:08 p.m. Officers met with a victim (23-year-old WF) who reported being sexually assaulted the night before by a suspect who has been tentatively identified. Investigation continuing.
6) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 7:15 p.m. Officers responded to N. Sherman Ave where a victim/employee (45-year-old HM) reported that after telling two juveniles (one WM and one AAM) that they could not be on the baseball field (Mallards field), one of the juveniles (AAM) pulled a handgun on him (but did not point it at him). The two juveniles fled. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Missing Adult – 8:54 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a missing cognitively delayed subject (59-year-old WF). Attempt to locate aired. The subject was listed as missing in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
8) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 10:34 p.m. Officers responded to Northport Dr for a disturbance. A verbal argument between two females resulted in a revolver being displayed and threatened. The victim (36-year-old AAF) fled and reported being followed by the suspect for some time. Investigation continuing.
9) NORTH: Intoxicated Driver – 12:23 a.m. Officers responded to US Hwy 151 for a crash. The suspect (38-year-old WM) was found to be under the influence. The suspect was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (7th offense). The victim (62-year-old WM) did not sustain any injuries. Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 3:38 a.m. Officers responded to Northport Dr for a 911 disconnect call/domestic disturbance between two subjects (29-year-old AAF victim and 31-year-old AAM suspect). The suspect grabbed the victim by the throat and covered her mouth. The suspect also punched the victim in the face. The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived. Once located, the suspect will be charged with battery, strangulation and intimidation of a victim (all domestic-related charges). Investigation continuing.