November 28, 2023 Update
Construction is complete.View past project updates »
Atwood Avenue - South Fair Oaks Avenue to Cottage Grove Road
Design: 2016-2019, (2020-2021 Design On-Hold), 2022
There are a number of points of contact during this project where the public is encouraged to give feedback as part of public information meetings and public hearings. Dates and times are indicated below:
Feb. 27, 2023
WisDOT, City of Madison, City of Monona, and the Contractor held a public informational meeting from 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 27, 2023 at Olbrich Gardens in the Evjue Commons located at 3330 Atwood Avenue, Madison. The open house format meeting discussed the upcoming improvements, construction schedule, and expected street closures/detours in 2023.
March 22, 2022
The City held a public involvement meeting 6-8 p.m., via zoom. The primary focus of the meeting was to discuss various alternatives for the placement of a new multi-use path in the Lakeland Ave/Olbrich Park area. The meeting recording and presentation are available below. Three alternatives were developed by the City and one by neighborhood residents:
- March 22, 2022 Public Information Meeting Recording
- March 22, 2022 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- Option 1
- Option 2
- Option 3
- Option 4
Aug-Oct 2021 Proposed Path Geometry Revision
The proposed multi-use path geometry was considered for a revision in the Olbrich Park Area. The revision includes routing the multi-use path through the western area of Olbrich Park. Two of the options (1 & 3) allow for the sledding hill to be uninterrupted with pavement during the winter season. This was discussed for recommendation at the Aug 25, 2021 City Transportation Commission, where the commission recommended moving forward with Option 3. This was also discussed at the Oct 13, 2021 Board of Park Commissioners, where the commission recommended also moving forward with Option 3.
April 9, 2018 Public Information Meeting
The City held a public involvement meeting 6:30-8 p.m., April 9, 2018, at Olbrich Botanical Gardens in the Atrium, 3330 Atwood Avenue, Madison, WI.
- Press Release
- Preliminary plans - Fair Oaks Ave to Olbrich
- Preliminary plans - Olbrich to Cottage Grove Rd
June 12, 2018 Public Mailer
This postcard was sent June 12, 2018 to residents and businesses along the corridor. View Mailer
Since the most recent public meeting on April 9, 2018, the following design changes have been proposed based on the feedback that was received.
- Add bike lanes on the both sides of the roadway from Dennett Drive to Cottage Grove Road. This change would include removing the multi-use path from Dennett Drive to Cottage Grove Road. This change removes the need for bicyclists traveling northbound on Monona drive to cross the street at Cottage Grove Road. This change also moves the bicyclists onto lanes in the roadway along the portion of the corridor with the most driveways. This will increase sight distance and visibility of bicyclists from drivers exiting the driveways.
- The pedestrian sidewalk is being moved to the outside of the multi-use path on south side of Atwood Avenue in the area adjacent to Olbrich Park. This change will result in less conflicts between bicyclists and pedestrians as bicyclists move onto the on-street bike lanes.
Exhibits showing the changes can be found here.
- Plan - Fair Oaks Ave to Walter St
- Plan - Walter St to Cottage Grove Rd
- Typical Section - Fair Oaks to Oakridge
- Typical Section - Oakridge to Dennett
- Typical Section - Dennett to Cottage Grove Rd
Oct. 4, 2017 Public Information Meeting
The City held a public information meeting 6:30-8 p.m., Oct. 4, 2017, at Olbrich Botanical Gardens in the Atrium, 3330 Atwood Avenue, Madison, WI. The City presented the preliminary design, answered questions and gathered input.
- Press Release
- Preliminary Plans - Signal Alternative
- Preliminary Plans - Roundabout Alternative
Geometry Approval Meetings
City committees reviewed the project geometry at the following public meetings: Instructions for attending can be found on the City's City Hall Meeting webpage: https://www.cityofmadison.com/city-hall/committees/meeting-schedule
- June 26, 2018 – Pedestrian, Bicycle & Motor Vehicle Commission – Street Geometry – Approved
- July 11, 2018 – Board of Public Works – Street Geometry – Approved
- July 24, 2018 – Common Council – Street Geometry – Approved
- Aug 25, 2021 – Transportation Commission – Path Revision Option 3 – Approved
- Oct 13, 2021 – Board of Park Commissioners – Path Revision Option 3 – Approved
- Mar 23, 2022 – Transportation Commission – Path Revision Option 1 – Approved, Secondary Approval Option 3
- April 13, 2022 – Board of Park Commissioners – Path Revision Option 3 – Approved
- July 6, 2022 – Board of Public Works – Construction Plans, Specifications, & Assessments – Approved
- July 19, 2022 – Common Council – Construction Plans, Specifications, & Assessments – Approved