Johnson St, W.
Last Updated: 05/22/2020
5/22/20 This project is complete.
Starting at 7:00 am on Monday August 6, 2018 Terra Engineering & Construction will begin construction on a University of Wisconsin steam tunnel in North Charter Street, between University Avenue and West Johnson Street. Impacts to traffic are as follows:
- North Charter Street—University Avenue to West Johnson Street
- Northbound traffic closed at all times thru mid May 2019
- Southbound traffic lane closed weekdays from 10:00 am to 2:30 am
- Sidewalk always open on west side
- Sidewalk closed on east side of Charter Street
- West Johnson Street at North Charter Street
- Four lanes of traffic reduced to two lanes of traffic for two weeks for sanitary work—from 7:00 am on Monday, Aug. 6 through Sept. 21 2018.
- Sidewalk will always be open on at least one side of W Johnson Street.
The lane closures of West Johnson Street will create severe travel delays during the weekday, afternoon, peak traffic times. Drivers should avoid using West Johnson Street, west of North Charter Street during this time, if possible.