The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 03/22/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 03/23/2019, MPD received 480 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 480 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (80), East (113), Midtown (79), North (66), South (49), West (66), and Other (27). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority calls only from 2:24 am to 7:10 am due to calls for service.
1) EAST: Death Investigation – 6:42 am. A friend found the subject (44-year-old WM) deceased in the friend's east side apartment where he had spent the night. The decedent had numerous medical issues. Nothing suspicious found on scene.
2) WEST: Armed Robbery – 9:38 am. Officers responded for a report of an armed robbery at a west side residence where the victim (19-year-old AAM) allowed an acquaintance into his apartment. The acquaintance was accompanied by two unknown suspects, one of whom was armed with a facsimile firearm which was subsequently recovered by police. The suspects took cash from the apartment and fled. The suspects are at large. Pepper spray was discharged by the suspects during the incident and MFD assisted in ventilating the building. Investigation continuing. An incident report was completed on the MPD website.
3) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 9:54 am. Officers responded to a midtown residence where the suspect (42-year-old AAM) and victim (32-year-old AAF), who have a child in common, had engaged in an argument. The suspect threatened the victim and damaged property in the home. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property. Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Death Investigation – 10:02 am. The subject (56-year-old NAM) was found deceased at the residence where he was staying on W Karstens Dr. The subject had a history of alcoholism. Nothing suspicious found on scene.
5) CENTRAL: Drug Overdose – 2:16 pm. Officers responded to the Beacon at 615 E Washington Ave for a suspect (42-year-old WM) who was found down in the bathroom. Beacon staff administered naloxone and revived the suspect, who was transported to the hospital. Investigation continuing.
6) CITY-WIDE: Information/Suspicious Person – 2:35 pm. A school resource officer was informed of the possible presence of a suspect (62-year-old WM) who may be engaged in taking photographs of high school students. Investigation continuing.
7) NORTH: Check Area – 8:00 pm. An anonymous caller reported a fight involving an estimated 15 teenagers in the 500 block of Northport Dr. Officers arrived on scene and found youths fleeing but did not find any injured parties as a result of a disturbance.
8) WEST: Traffic Incident – 10:24 pm. Officers responded to the 1000 block of McKenna Blvd for a damaged vehicle. Officers had difficulty obtaining accurate information from the driver (20-year-old AAM) and three passengers but it appeared the vehicle possibly took a corner too fast and hit a curb, causing damage. Another vehicle may have been involved related to an argument earlier that evening. No charges have been substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 11:21 pm. An argument broke out between the suspect (48-year-old WM) and victim (47-year-old WM) who are roommates. The suspect punched and struck the victim, causing a laceration to the victim's face which required stitches. The suspect was arrested for domestic substantial battery and was taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 2:03 am. Officers were dispatched to the Bowl-A-Vard at 2121 East Springs Dr for shots fired in the parking lot. Investigation revealed the suspect (25-year-old AM) fired two shots in the air outside the front doors of the bowling alley. The suspect fled the scene but was apprehended at an east side residence and was arrested for 2nd degree reckless endangering safety and a probation/parole hold. There were no reported injuries at this time. Investigation continuing. An incident report was completed on the MPD website.
11) SOUTH: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 2:23 am. Officers responded with several other law enforcement agencies to the area of Fish Hatchery Rd and Greenway Cross for reports of possible shots fired. Officers checked the area but no evidence was located and there were no reported injuries at this time. Investigation continuing. An incident report was completed on the MPD website.