ADA Enforcement

The Disability Rights and Services Specialist can help you understand your rights, self-advocate, and informally resolve issues about work, housing, public places, and public services in the City of Madison. For more information contact:

Rebecca Hoyt
Disability Rights and Services Specialist
(608) 266-6511

You have the right to file a complaint in addition to contacting the Disability Rights and Services Specialist. The laws, processes, and timelines are different depending on which office your complaint is filed in.  See below for more information. 

Disability Discrimination Complaint Options

City of Madison, Department of Civil Rights

If you are a Madison resident and were discriminated against in housing, employment, or public accommodations, you may File a Complaint with the Department of Civil Rights, Equal Opportunities Division. A Civil Rights Complaint is a formal process.  It may involve an investigation, a dispute resolution meeting, and/or a hearing.  The City of Madison works to resolve your complaint within 90 days.

Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development

If you do not live in the City of Madison or the discrimination occurred outside of the City of Madison, you can file a complaint with the state. You must live in Wisconsin to file a complaint with the state.  Follow this link for more information about How to File a Civil Rights Complaint.  The Department of Workforce Development reviews complaints about: 

  • Employment
  • Housing
  • Public places of accommodation
  • Post-secondary education
  • Family medical leave
  • and other state laws

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Complaints

The ADA is a federal law. Where you file your complaint depends on what your complaint is about.  See below for information about where to file a complaint:

Help with Complaints

If you need advice or help with a complaint, please contact an attorney. The Madison Area Technical College Legal Clinic and Disability Rights Wisconsin offer free legal services to people with disabilities in Madison. If you need additional help finding an attorney, visit the State Bar of Wisconsin's Lawyer Referral and Information Service. The cost of these services will vary depending on the attorney. 

Was this page helpful to you?