Madison Disability Summit
The City of Madison Disability Summit: Collective Visioning for a More Equitable Future is a platform for visioning and developing a city-wide agenda that will direct the work of the Department of Civil Rights – Division of Equity and Social Justice, Disability Rights and Services Program and ensure all City programs include the voices and needs of the disability community. Our objective is to:
- Identify the priorities of our community,
- Develop decision-making principles for the City that ensure people with disabilities have a seat at the table, and
- Explore ways to better connect diverse Disabled residents with City staff, policy makers, and each other.
Disability Summit Program Highlights
July 27, 2023 (Virtual)
- DJ Training Workshop with Sins Invalid, Disability Justice Trainer
Ableism is a system of oppression that permeates dominant culture and impacts countless folks across our communities. We’ll take a look at how ableism has and continues to work with various forms of oppression, while Disability Justice centers intersectionality to co-create a world where all of us can survive and thrive.
- Keynote Speakers: Yive Oddly, drag artist and performer; Kate Moran, Disability Pride Madison Board Chair
- Addresses from Wisconsin Senator Agard and Representives Joers and Stubbs.
- Breakout discussions centering identity.
July 28, 2023 (Virtual)
Intersectionality and Collective Liberation Panel Discussion with Mary Fashik, Lydia X. Z. Brown, Jeiri Flores, Rebecca Hoyt (Moderator).
- Visioning for the future of Madison: Community Building and Civic Engagement Panel Discussion, with Disability Rights Commission Chair, Will Ringland; Equal Opportunities Commissioner Autumn Neugent, Katie Sullivan (moderator).
- Keynote Speakers: Callie Frye, Deaf and Disability Activist; Sydney Badeau, Board of People with Developmental Disabilities
- Addresses from Wisconsin Representatives Hong and Subek.
- Topic-based breakout discussions.