Building Inspection is open to the public by appointment only.
For more on appointments and other services, please see the Building Inspection Services page.
Property Standards & Conditions
Exterior Building & Property »
On June 4, 2013, the Common Council passed a Madison General Ordinance 27.10. This section creates an abandoned residential property registration program. It also regulates the upkeep of these properties. This section aims to reduce blight and to maintain property values.
The Minimum Housing and Property Maintenance Code outlines the basic standard for housing.
Some of the items the Property Maintenance Inspectors handle include:
Erosion problems and graffiti.
Housing inspectors also handle building upkeep issues, such as:
Siding, chimneys and roofs.
Broken windows and damaged doors.
Plumbing and electrical violations.
Broken locks on doors and windows.
Holes in walls.
Unkept floor coverings.
Missing and broken smoke alarms.
Want to learn more? Download the Caring for your Property guide (PDF)
Search BI services
Tenants may be able to reduce their rent if a landlord hasn't corrected certain housing code violations.
Rent Abatement procedure »
By when should sidewalks be cleared? Stay informed via email updates, Facebook or Twitter.
Sidewalk clearing rules »
Learn about the Concealed Carry Law & what public / private spaces the law affects.
FAQs, signage & more »
- Additions to a Home - One & Two Family Residential
- Attic - alterations or conversions
- Basement - alterations or conversions
- Bathroom - alterations
- Central Air Conditioner - install
- Chickens (Raising)
- Deck - build
- Demolition of Structures
- Development Services Center
- Door Replacement
- Dwelling Units, Change Number of - 1 & 2 Family Residential
- Dwelling Units, Change Number of - Other Residential
- Electrical Work, All
- Exterior Building & Property Complaints
- Fence - install or replace
- Furnace - install
- Garage - build or replace
- Garage - demolish
- Graffiti Enforcement
- Home Heating and Cold Weather Safety
- Hot Tub, Whirlpool, Spa - install
- House (1 & 2 Family) - New Construction
- Housing Complaint
- Interior Property Complaints
- J There are no listings.
- Kitchen - alterations
- L There are no listings.
- Multi-Family Residential - New Construction
- Non-Residential - New Construction
- Occupancy Standards
- Parking Lot
- Q There are no listings.
- Rent Abatement
- Rental Property Emergency Contact
- Roofing - Reroof your house or garage
- Screened Porch
- Security Deposits and Rent Credits
- Shed - build or replace
- Shed - demolish
- Siding - replace on house or garage
- Signs & Street Graphics
- Snow Enforcement
- Snow Sidewalk Clearing
- Solar Energy System - install
- Street Occupancy
- Swimming Pool
- Tavern Capacities
- U There are no listings.
- V There are no listings.
- Water Heater - install
- Water Softener - install
- Weights & Measures, New Business
- Windows & Frames - replace
- X There are no listings.
- Y There are no listings.
- Z There are no listings.
Call us at (608) 266-4551 if you need
- an interpreter
- documents in other formats
- other accommodations
Llámanos al (608) 266-4551 si necesitas
- un intérprete
- una traducción
- documentos en otros formatos
- otras adaptaciones
Hu xovtooj rau peb tim (608) 266-4551 yog koj xav tau
- tus neeg txhais lus Hmoob
- ntawv txhais ua lus Hmoob
- dcov ntaub ntawv hloov ua lwm yam hom ntawv
- lwm yam kev pabcuam
- Report: Abandoned Bicycle
- Report: Abandoned Vehicle on Private Property
- Report: Consumer Complaint
- Report: Exterior Housing
- Report: Graffiti
- Report: Interior Housing
- Report: Recycle Collection
- Report: Refuse Collection
- Report: Refuse & Recycling Carts
- Report: Sidewalk Concern
- Report: Sign Violation
- Report: Snow Removal
- Report: Tree Concerns
- Report: Weeds & Overgrown Vegetation
- Report: General requests