Commissions & Committees
Madison's boards, commissions and committees play a major role in shaping the critical decisions regarding priorities, scope and levels of City services. They conduct most of the preliminary work for the Common Council as it relates to public issues, and serve as an intricate part of policy development, implementation and review.
All of these bodies work in the challenging atmosphere of City Hall and often have input on City ordinances, policies and resolutions. Most of the work of a committee is channeled through its staff person or chairperson.
The Planning Division currently staffs the following:
- Downtown Coordinating Committee -- Focused on issues that affect the use of public space in the Downtown Area – particularly State Street and the Capitol Square.
- Joint Campus Area Committee -- Made up of representatives from the UW-Madison, Village of Shorewood Hills, City of Madison neighborhoods, and City of Madison committee members, the JCAC provides feedback on UW-Madison projects.
- Landmarks Commission -- Focused on preserving the unique and valuable historic resources of the City.
- Madison Arts Commission -- Funds artistic activities and support cultural programs that integrate and advance arts and culture as an essential part of life in Madison.
- Plan Commission -- Deals with Land Use issues such as demolitions, conditional uses, rezonings, and property subdivisions.
- Urban Design Commission -- Deals with the physical appearance (architecture), signage, site design (site layout, landscaping) of proposed development in the City.
For Applications, Submittal and Meeting Schedules, and Madison General Ordinance Sections related to a particular Commission or Committee, please click on the corresponding link for that body at the top of this column.
- Development Services Center - Site with information related to the City's Development Review process including: Conditional Uses, Demolition Permits, Rezonings, Subdivisions, Annexation of Land, Zoning Variances, Landmarks & Construction in Historic Districts, and Urban Design Approvals.
- Development Review Standards - Guide containing excerpts from the Zoning Code (MGO, Section 28) related to Zoning Map Amendments (i.e. Rezonings), Zoning Text Amendments, Conditional Uses, Demolitions, Zoning Variances, Planned Development Districts (PDs), and Lakefront Development.
- Guide to Participating in the Development Process (Note: Guide written in 2005)
- Overview of Commission and Common Council Involvement in Development Decisions - A quick guide to who makes the Final Action versus gives an Advisory Recommendation for the various development decisions.