The Affirmative Action Student Professionals In Residence (AASPIRE) internship offers underrepresented groups on-the-job experience with the City of Madison. This internship is specifically available to current college students from an accredited university or a two year technical college program. Students who have recently graduated within the past two years are also eligible to apply.
This paid summer internship lasts for 8-10 weeks. Interns work on a limited-term, management-level project. City managers provide guidance, mentoring, and a deeper understanding of public service. Interns are eligible for positions limited to City employees for up to 6 months after completing the internship.
For Engineering Division AASPIRE Interns, the following interns have completed programs in our division:
- Transportation Design
To Do Before Intern Starts
- Request to IT: Laptop
- Request to IT: Email set up
- Request to IT: Login set up
- Send Information Email of Schedule, Expectations, etc.
- Send "Excited to Start Next Week Email
- Set up virtual/in person meetings in calendar
- Set up AASPIRE Meeting Dates in calendar
- Send introduction email of AASPIRE Intern to ENG Staff
- Set up demonstration days to show our processes, that relate to internship