The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:30 a.m. on 04/24/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 04/25/2018, MPD received 498 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
1) SOUTH: Stolen Auto – 6:21 a.m. Officers responded to Ashford Lane for a report of a stolen auto. Unknown how the suspect accessed/drove off in the vehicle as the keys were not inside of it. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
2) MIDTOWN: Non-Residential Burglary – 7:46 a.m. Officers responded to S. Rosa Rd for a report of attempted entry/burglary of a building. It was reported that three incidents have occurred recently (but not reported until today) where access to the building appears to have been attempted. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Trespass – 9:41 a.m. Officers responded to the 1700 block of Thierer Rd for a subject (39-year-old WF) who was present but banned from the area. The subject was contacted and she refused to leave. The subject/suspect was detained and ultimately arrested for trespassing.
4) NORTH: Check Person – 9:56 a.m. Officers responded to N. Biltmore Lane to check the welfare of a suicidal subject (73-year-old WM). The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. Investigation continuing.
5) SOUTH: Weapons Offense – 12:28 p.m. Officers responded to E. Olin Ave regarding a juvenile (14-year-old WM) who locked himself in a vehicle and was threatening individuals with a pool que. Officers arrived and were able to safely extract the pool que from the vehicle. The juvenile was conveyed to a local hospital for a mental health evaluation/treatment. The juvenile was subsequently transported to Winnebago.
6) NORTH: Disturbance – 12:40 p.m. Officers responded to Oriole Lane for a disturbance where a male subject (WM) was threatening other individuals. Investigation continuing.
7) SOUTH: Crash with Injuries – 2:37 p.m. Officers, along with MFD, responded to S. Park St/Haywood for a single vehicle crash which struck an electrical pole. The driver (48-year-old WF) suffered a medical emergency and was transported to a local hospital.
8) WEST: Death Investigation – 3:40 p.m. A subject (54-year-old WM) was conveyed to a local hospital for health concerns. While en route to the hospital, the subject went PNB (pulseless, non-breathing). Lifesaving measures were not successful. The subject had a history of multiple health concerns. Nothing suspicious identified. Investigation continuing.
9) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 4:29 p.m. Officers responded to the 3000 E. Washington Ave for a disturbance. It was reported that one of the subjects involved had a handgun. Two male suspects fled prior to officers arriving. A female subject/suspect (29-year-old AAF) picked up a weapon that was involved in the disturbance and attempted to conceal it from police. The female suspect was arrested for armed robbery (party to a crime). The other involved subjects/suspects are at-large. Investigation continuing.
10) SOUTH: Attempted Suicide – 8:15 p.m. Officers responded to the Beltline/Todd Dr regarding a suicidal subject (16-year-old AAM). Officers engaged in extensive dialogue with the juvenile and he was stabilized without incident. The juvenile subject was conveyed to a local hospital where he was voluntarily admitted. The subject was left in the care of medical staff. Child Protective Services plugged in.
11) SOUTH: Adult Arrested Person – 8:44 p.m. Officers responded to Wingra Drive where the complainant (33-year-old AAF) reported a disturbance took place with her boyfriend and that she sustained injuries from the altercation. The explanations provided were inconsistent. The complainant's husband (45-year-old AAM) was contacted and found to be the victim of the altercation with the female. The female was subsequently arrested for 2nd Degree Recklessly Endangering Safety (domestic).
12) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 10:03 p.m. Officers responded to E. Mifflin St for a disturbance between two subjects (35-year-old WF victim and 29-year-old AAM suspect). The suspect chased the victim and pulled her hair as she attempted to call 911 due to their altercation. The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived but was located several hours later. The suspect was arrested on domestic-related charges (disorderly conduct and intimidation of a victim).
13) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 10:46 p.m. Officers responded to a north side residence for a disturbance. Officers were unable to locate/make contact with any involved parties. Later in the evening, the victim (36-year-old WF) was able to contact police as she fled from the original location of the domestic altercation. The victim reported being punched by the father of their children (45-year-old HM). The victim sustained a swollen eye, a broken nose, other broken bones and required stitches. Suspect is at-large. Investigation continuing.
14) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 1:45 a.m. Officers responded to a local hospital where a suspect (35-year-old AAM) inappropriately contacted a medical staff member/victim (23-year-old WF). The suspect was arrested for 4th degree sexual assault.
15) CENTRAL: Substantial/Aggravated Battery – 2:23 a.m. Officers responded to the 500 block of State St for an unconscious subject/victim (23-year-old WM). The subject was conveyed to a local hospital. It was reported that the victim was punched by an unknown suspect. Besides losing consciousness, the victim sustained a chipped tooth and other injuries. Video evidence was collected and reviewed. Multiple witnesses were interviewed. Investigation continuing.
16) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 3:08 a.m. Officers responded to Commercial Ave/Nakoosa Trail for a report of a subject passed out in a vehicle. The driver/suspect (41-year-old AAM) was found to be under the influence. The suspect was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (5th offense).