The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:00 a.m. on 07/03/2018 through 5:00 a.m. on 07/04/2018, MPD received 566 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 566 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (96), East (139), Midtown (71), North (79), South (66), West (75), and Other (40). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**City-wide priority calls only from 4:23 a.m. to 5:05 a.m. due to a weapons offense on Loreen Dr.
1) WEST: Trespass – 11:12 a.m. Officers responded to the 2000 block of McKenna Blvd where a homeowner found an unknown male suspect in their kitchen. The suspect fled on foot. Nothing noted taken from the residence. Areas checked. Suspect-at-large. Investigation continuing.
2) WEST: Check Person – 11:32 a.m. Officers responded to Balsam Rd to check the welfare of a juvenile who ran away last week (this was not reported to the police until yesterday). The juvenile (16-year-old AAF) was located and she made suicidal comments. The juvenile was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Check Person – 12:51 p.m. Officers were dispatched to an East side residential neighborhood to check the welfare of a 35-year-old WM subject who was reportedly bipolar and not taking his prescribed medications. Officers made contact with subject who was cooperative and conveyed to a local hospital for a voluntary admission.
4) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 5:11 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 6700 block of Schroeder Rd reference a domestic disturbance between the victim (41-year-old HF) and the suspect (37-year-old HM). The victim reported that she was late picking up her boyfriend/suspect from work, which made him very upset. He accused her of cheating on him and then grabbed her by the throat, pushed her to the ground, strangled her, held her to the ground, bit and scratched her while threatening to kill her. She had injuries consistent with her detailed account of what happened. The victim also had older injuries to her neck from an assault that occurred three days prior. The suspect fled prior to officer arrival, but was apprehended down the road. The suspect recently served 14 months in jail for domestic crimes against the same victim and was released approximately one month ago. The suspect was charged with domestic strangulation, two counts of domestic battery (which includes the battery from three days earlier), and domestic disorderly conduct. The victim was taken to a local hospital for a Forensic Nurse Examination (FNE), due to the strangulation. Investigation continuing.
5) CENTRAL: Check Person – 7:13 p.m. A 52-year-old WM subject came to the Central District Station lobby (211 S Carroll St), approached a City of Madison parking enforcement officer, pulled a gun out, stripped the magazine, and threw it on the floor. Two detectives walked in a few moments later. The subject was suicidal and wanted to bring his gun to the station so that he didn't hurt himself. He was taken into protective custody and conveyed to Detox. The handgun was inventoried for safekeeping.
6) EAST: Crash Investigation – 7:45 p.m. Officers were dispatched to a single vehicle crash at the intersection of S Stoughton Rd and Cottage Grove Rd. The suspect driver (19-year-old WM) was traveling southbound on Stoughton Rd over Milwaukee St and had tried to make a lane change while another car was attempting the same maneuver. The suspect driver overcorrected to avoid the other vehicle and hit the lane shoulder which caused his car to flip. The vehicle rolled over northbound lanes of Stoughton Rd where it came to rest in a section of trees. The suspect driver fled and stripped some clothing, but was eventually apprehended by officers after the suspect initially claimed to be an uninvolved jogger. A K-9 track was completed to make sure that no other parties were involved. The driver was assessed for impairment and was deemed not impaired. The suspect driver suffered minor scrapes and was cited for failure to have control, hit and run, and for operating after revocation. Investigation continuing.
7) CENTRAL: Conveyance-Mental Health – 9:04 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 600 block of S Ingersoll St regarding a check person complaint. A 49-year-old WM called 911 and reported that he took a large amount of his prescribed medication in an effort to end his own life. He has a long mental health history and was voluntarily transported to a local hospital for evaluation.
8) CENTRAL: Assist EMS/Fire – 10:39 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the Off the Square Club (4 N Hancock St) regarding a medical assist with CPR in progress. Paramedics arrived on scene first and found a 38-year-old WM subject unconscious and exhibiting agonal breathing. MFD administered naloxone and the subject was revived prior to police arrival. No drugs or paraphernalia were found on scene and the subject refused to speak with police. He was transported to a local hospital for evaluation. Investigation continuing.
9) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 10:57 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 4700 block of Jenewein Rd regarding a domestic disturbance. The victim/wife (41-year-old AAF) called 911 to report that she was physically assaulted and threatened by her intoxicated husband/suspect (41-year-old AAM). Upon MPD arrival, the suspect was seen running away on foot but was eventually taken into custody without incident. The victim reported that the suspect had broken her phone and a vase, had also kicked her causing a visible injury, and strangled her for a few seconds. Their two young children witnessed the suspect dragging the victim by her hair at one point and kicking her. The suspect was arrested for domestic-related charges of disorderly conduct, battery, criminal damage to property, and strangulation. He also had multiple warrants through probation and parole. CPS was notified. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 11:33 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 6700 block of Commercial Ave regarding a domestic disturbance. The suspect (19-year-old WF) called 911 to report that her boyfriend/victim (21-year-old WM) pushed her to the ground, held her down, and then stole her vehicle. Police arrived and interviewed the suspect. The victim returned shortly thereafter and was also interviewed. The couple had been living together for a little over a week and tonight the victim wanted to go out with his friends. The suspect objected to this and a disturbance began. In the end, officers developed probable cause to arrest the suspect for domestic disorderly conduct and she was taken to jail.
11) CENTRAL: Fight Call – 12:01 a.m. A Madison police officer on routine patrol was driving on State St and came across a physical fight in the street between two men, with a crowd starting to form. Despite activation of squad car emergency lights, siren, and driving the squad car to within five feet of the men, the two continued brawling. The officer broke up the fight and attempted to detain a 22-year-old AAM suspect who pushed past a second officer who had arrived on scene. The second officer then followed the suspect at a distance and when more units began to arrive to the area, a unified response was coordinated. The suspect was recontacted and arrested. The suspect subsequently was issued a citation and released from the scene. Investigation continuing.
12) WEST: Conveyance-Mental Health – 12:28 a.m. Officers were dispatched to the 6900 block of Schroeder Rd regarding a suicidal subject. A 19-year-old WF subject took pills and cut herself in an attempt to commit suicide. The cuts were superficial and were quickly bandaged up. Officers arrived on scene and made contact with the subject. She was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital where she agreed to voluntarily admit herself.
13) EAST: Missing Adult – 12:55 a.m. Officers were dispatched to the 4500 block of Milwaukee St regarding a missing adult. The 28-year-old AAM subject told his two caretakers that he was going out for a cigarette and after a few minutes, when one of the caretakers went to check on him, he was observed on a neighbor's bike quickly riding away westbound on Milwaukee St. A search effort was commenced and the subject returned home shortly thereafter. The subject was counseled regarding taking a bicycle that did not belong to him and for leaving his residence without a responsible adult in the middle of the night. He was cooperative with police and was left with his caretakers.
14) WEST: Weapons Offense – 4:20 a.m. Officers were dispatched to Loreen Dr regarding a man armed with a steak knife. The victim (28-year-old AAF) called 911 to report that the suspect (29-year-old AAM) was armed with a knife and was suicidal, due to them breaking up. The suspect was said to have pushed the victim down and then smashed the basement door at the residence. Prior to police arrival, the suspect was said to have fled from the residence on foot. Officers eventually contacted the suspect and he was taken into custody. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct and conveyed to jail. Investigation continuing.