The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 02/09/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 02/10/2019, MPD received 408 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 408 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (81), East (83), Midtown (61), North (58), South (37), West (57), and Other (31). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls due to high call volume from 11:54 p.m. to 4:23 a.m.**
1) NORTH: Check Property – 6:05 a.m. Officers responded to an apartment building on the north side for a report of four suspects breaking into the apartment office and taking computer equipment. Two residents of the building were contacted (49 year-old AAM and a 53 year-old AAF) about this incident. Probable cause could not be established for a burglary at this time. Investigation continuing.
2) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 8:32 a.m. Officers were dispatched to a south side residential address reference a domestic disturbance. After an argument over cigarettes, the suspect (52 year-old AAM) became physically violent with his girlfriend/victim (40 year-old AAF). The suspect was arrested and taken to jail for domestic-related charges of strangulation, battery, and disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
3) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 9:31 a.m. Officers were called to a local hospital for a subject (63 year-old WM) who was wishing to leave against medical advice. The subject was contacted and an agreement was created to keep him for treatment. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Theft Retail – 1:58 p.m. Officers contacted a suspect (28 year-old WM) about a retail theft at 2202 S. Stoughton Rd. (Farm and Fleet). This suspect confirmed the involvement of two other suspects (29 year-old WFs) in the theft. The WM suspect admitted to driving the two WF suspects from the scene. The WM suspect was arrested for a charge of party to a crime of retail theft, and was conveyed to jail. Probable cause was developed to arrest the WF suspects for retail theft. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 2:24 p.m. A suspect (19 year-old WM) with some mental illness issues, and who was off his meds, became suicidal and upset. When the suspect attempted to leave his north side residence, an 18 year-old WF (victim), attempted to intercede out of concern for the suspect's welfare. The suspect then got physical with the victim and subsequently pushed her. Officers later detained the suspect. Probable cause was developed for a domestic-related disorderly conduct charge, and the suspect was conveyed to jail. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: Conveyance Mental Health – 3:16 p.m. Officers contacted a 27 year-old AAM subject in the 200 block of W. Mifflin St. for a mental health commitment order. The subject was taken into protective custody and transported to a local hospital for evaluation. Ultimately, the order was rescinded, and the subject was voluntarily conveyed to a mental health facility for follow-up. Investigation continuing.
7) MIDTOWN: Information/Recovered Stolen Auto in Chicago – 5:00 p.m. A call was received from a Chicago officer stating that a stolen auto from a rental car company on Odana Rd. had been found. Chicago PD has a suspect in custody and required information for further investigation. Investigation continuing.
8) SOUTH: Information/Sexual Assault – 5:42 p.m. Officers were called for a report of a possible sexual assault that occurred on the south side. The victim (23 year-old WM) advised that he had possibly been victimized by a known suspect (65 year-old WF). Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 6:47 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 700 block of S. Gammon Rd. reference a domestic disturbance. After an argument over arrangements on where to stay, a 37 year-old HF made threats to her husband/victim (42 year-old HM) with a pair of "kid scissors." The victim was able to take away the scissors, and officers arrested the suspect and conveyed her to jail on a domestic-related charge of disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
10) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 9:24 p.m. After arriving at his south side residence on Fish Hatchery Rd., an intoxicated suspect (30 year-old AAM) got into an argument with his girlfriend/victim (25 year-old HF), which eventually turned into a physical altercation. The suspect left the residence prior to officer arrival. There is probable cause to arrest the suspect on domestic-related charges of disorderly conduct and battery. Investigation continuing.
11) NORTH: Traffic Arrest – 9:35 p.m. Officers executed a routine traffic stop of a 22 year-old WM suspect who was speeding by the intersection of Commercial Ave. and Scofield Ln. During the stop, both marijuana and counterfeit money were located. The suspect was cited for speeding, possession of marijuana, seatbelt violation, and counterfeit currency. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Information – 10:51 p.m. Officers responded to a residence on W. Washington Ave. for an underage drinking party. One 16 year-old WM was placed in protective custody due to alcohol on-board. Due to the large number of party-goers, additional officers were required for scene management. Investigation continuing.
13) NORTH: Drug Incident Overdose – 2:07 a.m. Officers responded to an E. Washington Ave. residence for a 45 year-old WM suspect who had overdosed. Officers implemented the use of naloxone and were able to save the suspect. The subject was later taken to a local hospital. When discharged, the suspect was arrested and conveyed to jail for felony possession of heroin. Investigation continuing.