The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 3/12/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 3/13/2019, MPD received 452 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 452 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (90), East (87), Midtown (79), North (67), South (57), West (45), and Other (27). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) EAST: Armed Robbery – 6:14 a.m. A woman, who was armed with a knife, pulled off an early morning robbery at the BP gas station, 4624 Monona Dr. A clerk said the woman announced this was a holdup, and made off with more than $250 worth of smoking products. She got into a tan sedan, possibly a Buick, with no rear license plate. (This is the press release on MPD's website.)
2) WEST: Check Person – 9:04 a.m. Officers were dispatched reference a man found bleeding outside of West Towne Mall. Officers located a subject (70-year-old AAM) laying on the ground, apparently in some sort of medical distress (although not life-threatening). The subject was transported to a local hospital by MFD. Investigation continuing.
3) CENTRAL: Theft – 9:39 a.m. The victim (34-year-old WM) had his bike stolen recently. The victim saw the bike listed on Craigslist and also saw video of the suspect (56-year-old WM), riding the stolen bike. Subsequent investigation by MPD officers developed probable cause to arrest and charge the suspect with Theft and Obstructing. Investigation continuing.
4) MIDTOWN: Check Juvenile – 5:06 p.m. Officers responded to a residence on the east side after a subject (15-year-old WF) began to suffer panic attack inside the residence. Officers attempt to dialogue with the subject for some time but eventually needed to intervene. The subject's mother (50-year-old WF) advised officers that her daughter suffers from severe anxiety and was home alone all day. MFD assisted in transport to a local hospital for evaluation.
5) CENTRAL: Information – 5:50 p.m. MPD SWAT executed a search warrant without incident resulting in one arrest (18-year-old AAM) and a gun being recovered. Investigation continuing.
6) SOUTH: Juvenile Complaint – 6:18 p.m. Officers responded after a suspect (15-year-old AAF) and victim (14-year-old UF) got into a physical argument over stolen money. Upon officers' arrival, the suspect resisted arrest and was cited for Disorderly Conduct, Resisting and Theft. Both parties were released to adults.
7) MIDTOWN: Missing/Runaway Juvenile– 7:57 p.m. Officers were called after two juveniles (15-year-old AM and a 14-year-old WF) got mad at their parents and decided to run away together. They were last seen yesterday afternoon at Memorial High School. No safety concerns identified for either juvenile. Attempt to locate aired. The juveniles were listed as missing/runaway in the appropriate databased. Investigation continuing.
8) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 8:49 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the BP Gas station located at 2216 University Ave after a victim (23-year-old WF) reported she was punched in the face by her boyfriend/suspect (29-year-old AAM). The victim had visible injuries to her face but denied hospital treatment. The suspect was arrested for Domestic Battery and Domestic Disorderly Conduct. Investigation continuing.
9) SOUTH: Armed Robbery – 9:01 p.m. The Madison Police Department responded to the West Badger Liquor Store for an armed robbery. Two male black suspects entered the store with a handgun and demanded cash. The suspects battered the clerk prior to leaving with an undisclosed amount of US currency and store merchandise. If anyone has knowledge of the incident they are encouraged to contact the Madison Police Department or the Madison area Crimestoppers program. (This is the press release on MPD's website.)
10) CENTRAL: Intoxicated Person – 12:00 a.m. Officers responded after a friend of a suicidal/intoxicated subject called for assistance. The subject (33-year-old WF) was drinking throughout the day. The subject grabbed a razor but was not in possession of it when MPD arrived and complied with officers' verbal commands. The subject was placed in protective custody and conveyed to detox.
11) MIDTOWN: Drug Overdose – 12:49 a.m. MFD and MPD responded to a sober living facility when a visitor/suspect (50-year-old WM) overdosed on heroin. MFD administered Naloxone and revived the suspect. The suspect was conveyed to a local hospital and is MARI eligible. Investigation continuing.