The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 06/19/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 06/20/2019, MPD received 476 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 476 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (101), East (79), Midtown (85), North (74), South (51), West (43), and Other (43). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority only calls from 7:25pm-11:25pm due to calls for service.
1) NORTH: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 4:51 a.m. Officers responded to Stuart Court for a report of shots fired. A witness observed a subject/suspect (UM) on the street pointing a gun in the air and firing several shots. The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived. There were four shell casings located on Stuart Court. No injuries reported. No damage to property reported. Incident report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 5:16 a.m. Officers responded to the 1800 block of E. Washington Avenue for a disturbance. The caller/victim (33-year-old WF) woke up after being alerted by her dog to a suspect (27-year-old WM) on the patio of her upper-level residence peering into her home. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and bail jumping. Incident report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
3) CENTRAL: Stolen Auto – 9:23 a.m. Officers responded to a central district residence for a report of a stolen auto. The vehicle was able to be tracked/recovered on Wright Street. No suspect information at this time. Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Check Person – 10:20 a.m. Officers responded to a north side address to make contact with a subject (17-year-old WM) who was throwing bricks at staff and vehicles. The subject has extensive history with MPD's Mental Health Officers. The officers were able to make contact with the subject, de-escalate the situation and leave him in the care of staff/guardians. No further action deemed necessary by officers.
5) WEST: Juvenile Arrest – 3:38 p.m. Officers responded to West Towne Mall where it was reported that several juveniles were observed in the parking lot attempting to enter vehicles. Officers made contact with a juvenile/suspect (16-year-old AAM) where there was probable cause to arrest him for a previous theft incident. The suspect was arrested and conveyed to the Juvenile Reception Center. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 4:12 p.m. Officers met with a victim (42-year-old WF) who wished to report several crimes that occurred a few weeks ago at her east side home. The suspect (41-year-old WM) also contacted police at the same time for a preserve the peace request after he was released from jail. Officers met the suspect on Milwaukee Street and probable cause existed to arrest him on new charges. Once the suspect found out about the new charges and his imminent arrest, he fled on foot. The suspect was apprehended after a short foot pursuit. The suspect complained about a pre-existing medical condition and was conveyed to a local hospital for a medical clearance. The suspect was admitted to a local hospital. Once released, the suspect will be transported to jail on charges of false imprisonment, disorderly conduct and trespassing. Investigation continuing.
7) SOUTH: Drug Incident/Overdose – 4:44 p.m. Officers, along with MFD/EMS, responded to the Burger King on W. Badger Road for a report of a subject/suspect (20-year-old WM) experiencing an overdose. The suspect had regained consciousness as officers arrived on scene. Officers observed drug paraphernalia on scene and the suspect admitted to drug use. The suspect was conveyed to a local hospital where he was admitted. The suspect was cited for possession of heroin, possession of drug paraphernalia and bail jumping (3 counts). The suspect was left in the care of medical staff.
8) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 6:26 p.m. Officers responded to a central district residence regarding a disturbance. The caller/victim (49-year-old WM) reported that his son/suspect (20-year-old WM), who was bi-polar, schizophrenic and in a manic state, was causing a disturbance and stole their vehicle. The vehicle/suspect were observed and a traffic stop was initiated but the suspect refused to stop. The vehicle was later located near Miller/Lakeland unoccupied. A phone ping was completed and the suspect was found walking by the lakeshore. After a lengthy negotiation the suspect cooperates and is arrested by officers. The suspect was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation and possible emergency detention. Charges for the suspect include: 2nd degree recklessly endangering safety, resisting/eluding and operating a motor vehicle without consent. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 6:44 p.m. Officers responded to Lien Road for a report of a domestic disturbance between two subjects (23-year-old AAF victim and 20-year-old AAM suspect). The couple had been engaged in a verbal argument while they were driving. The argument escalated and the suspect slapped the victim. The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived. Once located, the suspect will be charged with domestic battery, domestic disorderly conduct and bail jumping (2 counts). Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Drug Incident/Overdose – 7:33 p.m. Officers responded, along with MFD/EMS, to Boyd Avenue where a subject/suspect (22-year-old WM) was experiencing an overdose in a vehicle. The suspect was conveyed to a local hospital where he was cited for possession of cocaine. The suspect was referred to the Madison Addiction Recovery Initiative (MARI).
11) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 9:49 p.m. Officers responded to the 100 block of State Street for a report of a fight. A primary aggressor/suspect (27-year-old AAF) was identified and not cooperative with officers. Two additional subjects/suspects (36-year-old AAF and 24-year-old AAF) attempted to intervene/interject themselves. An officer was punched in the face and another officer was spit upon during the incident. The 27-year-old suspect was arrested and charged with resisting, disorderly conduct and expelling bodily fluids at a public safety worker. The 24-year-old suspect was arrested and charged with resisting (2 counts) and disorderly conduct. The 36-year-old suspect was arrested for resisting and battery to a police officer. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Information/Sexual Assault – 1:15 a.m. Officers met with a victim (22-year-old AF) who reported being sexually assaulted at Tenney Park by a suspect (UM) whom she had been texting with previously. Investigation continuing.
13) EAST: Recovered/Stolen Auto – 1:39 a.m. Officers were in the area of Dell Drive when they observed two AAM's running at the sight of the police. A stolen vehicle was located nearby, unoccupied. A perimeter was set up. A K9 track was conducted. The suspects were observed and fled on foot. Multiple agencies responded to assist. One of the suspect's (17-year-old AAM) was apprehended. The second suspect remains at-large. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with resisting and two outstanding warrants. Additional charges may be forthcoming. Investigation continuing.
14) CENTRAL: Residential Burglary – 3:26 a.m. Officers responded to Jenifer Street for a suspect (20-eyar-old AAM) attempting to gain entry to a residence. The suspect was reportedly using a grill tool to break windows. The suspect fled prior to officers arriving in the area. Investigation continuing.
15) NORTH: Disturbance – 4:58 a.m. Officers responded to the 1000 block of E. Mifflin Street for a report of a disturbance. The caller (UM) reported being stabbed. The suspect (41-year-old AAF) was contacted. No additional information known at the time of this writing. Investigation continuing.