The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 09/18/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 09/19/2019, MPD received 531 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 531 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (88), East (125), Midtown (65), North (83), South (62), West (74), and Other (34). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) WEST: Residential Burglary – 5:42 a.m. Officers responded to Settlers Rd for a residential burglary. The homeowner/victim (54-year-old AAM) reported that a suspect entered his daughter's unlocked vehicle in the driveway and used the garage door opener to gain entry to their home where the suspect proceeded to take vehicle keys and steal a vehicle. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed. **The vehicle was located/recovered in the 4800 block of Hayes Rd later in the day.
2) WEST: Disturbance/Adult Arrested Persons – 8:23 a.m. Officers responded to the 7100 block of Flower Lane for a disturbance between two subjects (27-year-old AAF and 22-year-old AAF). The 27-year-old subject reportedly made a derogatory comment about the other subject on social media. The two subjects confronted each other and things escalated quickly. The 22-year-old suspect physically assaulted the 27-year-old subject (although both were found to be mutually involved and combative during the incident). The 27-year-old suspect was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and resisting. The 22-year-old suspect was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, battery, resisting and a probation hold. Both suspects were transported to jail.
3) SOUTH: Drug Incident/Overdose – 9:35 a.m. Officers responded to Newville Park on Beld St for a subject (46-year-old AAM) possibly experiencing an overdose. MFD administered Naloxone. No evidence of drug use observed. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. The subject has an outstanding probation warrant and a few other warrants. Probation/Parole notified. The subject was left in the care of medical staff who are supposed to call Dispatch when the subject is ready to be released. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Information/Possible Sexual Assault of a Child – 11:06 a.m. Officers met with a parent and her child/victim (4-year-old UM) after the child reported being inappropriately touched by a family member/suspect (AAF). Child Protective Services plugged in. A safety plan was developed. The suspect does not have access to the child. Investigation continuing.
5) MIDTOWN: Traffic Complaint/Cited Adults – 11:49 a.m. Officers responded to the 800 block of W. Washington Ave for a traffic complaint/incident involving two drivers (40-year-old WM and 24-year-old AAM). After one of the drivers passed the other driver, some words were exchanged between the two. Reckless driving/weaving in-and-out of traffic was reported. Both subjects were contacted. The WM subject was cited for reckless driving. The AAM subject was cited for improper passing.
6) WEST: Fatal Crash – 12:59 p.m. Officers responded to a three-vehicle crash at the intersection of Commerce Dr/Mineral Point Rd. A driver ran a red light and was pronounced deceased at the scene. Two other subjects, in different vehicles, were injured and transported to a local hospital. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
7) NORTH: Check Person/Mental Health Conveyance – 2:04 p.m. Officers made contact with a subject (40-year-old WF) who was having a mental health crisis episode and attempted to jump out of a moving vehicle on the north side. The subject was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital where she was subsequently voluntarily admitted. The subject was left in the care of medical staff. No further action deemed necessary by officers at this time.
8) NORTH: Crash with Injuries – 2:19 p.m. Officers responded to Portage Rd/Eastpark Rd for a motorcycle crash. The driver (32-year-old WM) lost control of the motorcycle and crashed. The driver sustained a broken collar bone and possible broken bones. No other vehicles/subjects were involved. No further action deemed necessary by officers.
9) SOUTH: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 3:34 p.m. Officers responded to Waunona Woods for a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (16-year-old HM). The juvenile has been skipping school lately and was not on board with some rules at home. No safety concerns identified. Attempt to locate aired. The juvenile was listed as missing/runaway in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Drug Incident/Cited Adult – 6:01 p.m. Officers responded to the 1800 block of Northport Drive for a subject/suspect (27-year-old WM) experiencing an overdose. MFD administered Naloxone, which revived the suspect. The suspect admitted to using heroin. The suspect was transported to a local hospital and cited for possession of heroin. The suspect was referred to the Madison Addiction Recovery Initiative (MARI) and left in the care of medical staff.
11) NORTH: Recovered Stolen Autos – 9:15 p.m. A stolen auto (from incident #1) was recovered from a parking lot in the 4800 block of Hayes Rd. A second vehicle, also reported stolen, was recovered (vehicle reported stolen out of Waukesha County). Waukesha law enforcement officials notified. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense/Disturbance/Adult Arrested Persons – 9:18 p.m. Officers responded to W. Dayton St for what was originally reported as a threats complaint with a knife involved. The victim (64-year-old AAM) reported that he was threatened by a suspect (34-year-old AAM). The suspect was detained and a knife was located. Probable cause was developed to arrest the suspect. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with attempted armed robbery, disorderly conduct while armed and bail jumping. The suspect's girlfriend (43-year-old WF) attempted to intervene during the incident and was arrested for obstructing. Investigation continuing.
13) MIDTOWN: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 11:49 p.m. Officers received a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (16-year-old HF). The juvenile is believed to be with her boyfriend. The juvenile's mother has had phone contact with her daughter but the daughter refuses to come home. The juvenile has been listed as missing/runaway in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
14) NORTH: Weapons Offense/Adult Arrested Person – 3:37 a.m. Officers responded to Northport Drive for a disturbance involving a gun (with shots fired). The victim (20-year-old WF) and suspect (23-year-old WM) were involved in an argument when the suspect fired his gun. The suspect left the scene but was located by officers on Hwy CV where a traffic stop was conducted. The suspect was taken into custody. A casing was recovered from the scene. Charges forthcoming. Investigation continuing.