City Engineering Stormwater Utility Vegetation Management Plan
December 1, 2023 Update
Thank you to everyone who attended the Nov. 28, 2023 Listening Session. The recording is now available:
Stormwater ponds and greenways create a network of vegetated corridors throughout the city. These spaces contribute to both the environment and Madisonian's quality of life.
The purpose of this plan is to create a framework for sustainable and resilient vegetation management. The plan shall reflect anticipated climate change impacts and respond to community concerns. This plan is specific to maintenance and vegetation goals of existing and future stormwater utility land at a citywide scale. This plan shall be evidence-based, incorporate public input, use available data mapping. This plan shall also incorporate research related to ecology, stormwater, biodiversity, and climate. This plan is subject to public comment and will have a final acceptance by the Board of Public Works.
This is NOT a plan for specific construction projects. Construction projects typically have their own public engagement process. Additionally, this plan does not include lands managed by Parks Division or other city, county or state agencies.
Public Listening Sessions: We want your input! These meetings are intended to get feedback on big picture questions regarding vegetation goals and maintenance on existing stormwater utility land. These meetings will be interactive, with live polling on big picture questions, image mapping, and opportunities to identify what is working well, as well as concerns you might have.
- East Side: November 1 at Hawthorne Library at 5:00 PM located at 2707 E Washington Avenue, Madison, WI 53704. Please register for this meeting at this link on Eventbrite so we can make sure we have enough chairs and tables. There is no fee or ticket required to attend.
- West Side: November 20th at Sequoya Library at 6:00 PM located at 4340 Tokay Blvd., Madison, WI 53711. Please register for this meeting at this link on Eventbrite so we can make sure we have enough chairs and tables. There is no fee or ticket required to attend.
- Online Option: November 28, 2023 at 5:30 pm on Zoom. Registration is required prior to the Zoom meeting, please register for the Zoom meeting at: Nov. 28, 2023 Public Information Virtual Meeting Registration
- Tell us what you thought! Fill out a post-meeting comment form here.
Note: we will not discuss plans for projects at this meeting, but larger big picture goals. Individual projects related to reconstruction that include vegetation changes have separate public information meetings and engagement processes outside of this plan for maintenance of existing vegetation.If you need an interpreter, translator, materials in alternate formats or other accommodations to access this service, activity or program, please email LAP@cityofmadison.com or call (608) 266-4910.
Si necesita un intérprete, un traductor, materiales en formatos alternativos u otros arreglos para acceder a este servicio, actividad o programa, comuníquese inmediatamente al número de teléfono que figura a continuación.
Yog tias koj xav tau ib tug neeg txhais lus, ib tug neeg txhais ntawv, cov ntaub ntawv ua lwm yam los sis lwm cov kev pab kom siv tau qhov kev pab, kev ua num los sis kev pab cuam no, thov hu rau tus xov tooj hauv qab no tam sim no.
Sign up as a Volunteer Technical Expert!
As part of plan development, the city will be soliciting assistance from experts in the field of land management, stormwater engineering, climate change, conservation, native species, pollinators, water resources and other applicable topics.
We are seeking technical experts to help with:
- Workshops: We are interested in volunteer experts to participate in a workshop or moderated panel on specific topics as part of a larger educational series. This will include volunteering time to either create a presentation or participate on a panel. Estimated time contributions for this project are 5 to 10 hours. More information will be sent out to interested experts and posted on website at a later date.
Technical Questionnaire: We are interested in volunteer experts to complete a technical questionnaire. This includes, but is not limited to, experts in land management, water resources, ecology, climate change, etc. This will include volunteering to answer specific technical questions. These questions will be based on public engagement. This questionnaire is likely to take several minutes.
Please email ENLAND@cityofmadison.com if you are interested in either of these opportunities.
In addition, the City will be Issuing a Request for Proposal for a consultant review of the data, science and trends related to top public concerns. This process shall be a formal Request for Proposals through the City of Madison Purchasing Division for a small fee, yet undetermined.
City Process, Meetings
- Board of Public Works: Aug. 23, 2023. City of Madison Engineering staff provided a draft framework for development of the Stormwater Utility Vegetation Management Plan.
- Draft Framework Approach for Informational Purposes to the Board of Public Works