Old Middleton Road and Craig Avenue Resurfacing
Starting today April 25, Speedway Sand & Gravel Inc. will begin work on Old Middleton Rd between N Eau Claire Ave and Capital Ave in order to reconstruct the street. There will be several traffic impacts (also see attached map):
- One lane of westbound traffic will be maintained at all times from N. Eau Claire Ave. to Old Sauk Rd.
- Two-way traffic between Old Sauk Rd. and N. Rosa Rd. will be maintained at all times. During the time in which the N. Rosa Rd. and Old Middleton Rd. intersection is closed due to construction activities, two-way traffic will be maintained from Old Sauk Rd. to Glen Hwy.
- Two-way traffic from Old Sauk Rd. to Capital Ave. will be maintained at all times before June 9th and after September 1st.
- Between June 9th and September 1st, Old Middleton Rd. will be closed to through traffic but will remain open to local and emergency traffic.
- Eastbound traffic at Capital Ave. will be maintained at all times.
- Two-way traffic on N. Whitney Way will be maintained at all times.
- Metro Transit will detour eastbound Route 15 to Regent Street during this project.
The City of Madison is proposing the resurfacing of Old Middleton Rd and Craig Ave. to take place in 2022. The proposed work includes complete replacement of the existing pavement, sanitary sewer main, sewer laterals, and storm sewer. Sections of water main will be replaced as needed. Sections of curb, gutter, driveway aprons, and sidewalk will be replaced due to condition or as needed in order to replace a sanitary sewer lateral from the new main to the property line.
Old Middleton Road: Capital Ave. to west of Segoe
Craig Avenue: University Ave to south end.
Backyard Sanitary and Water Service Relocation
In specific locations, sanitary sewer mains and water mains were installed behind homes. In these locations, private fences, outbuildings and landscaping have made it difficult for City crews to maintain the utilities. City Engineering and City Water Utility are proposing to install larger mains within the roadway right-of-way during street improvements. This work will require property owners to relocate their sanitary sewer and water main services from the back of their homes to the front of their homes. As part of this required work, the City of Madison will reimburse property owners for a portion of the work under the City’s plumbing conversion with sewer relocation funding policy and under the Madison Water Utility service replacement reimbursement policy for water service relocation of a 50/50 cost share up to $1,500 of total cost.
Read the original plumbing conversion policy adopted by the Common Council.
Bid Advertisement: Jan. 20, 2022
Start of Construction: mid-April 2022
There are a number of points of contact during this project where the public is encouraged to give feedback as part of public information meetings and public hearings. Dates, times and locations are indicated below:
Public Information Meetings
- Nov. 15, 2021 Public Information Meeting Recording
- Nov. 15, 2021 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- Nov. 23, 2021 Public Information Meeting Recording
- Nov. 23, 2021 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation (Craig Ave.)
- Dec. 1, 2021 Public Information Meeting Recording
- Dec. 1, 2021 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint
- Overview Plan
- Craig Ave. Overview Plan
- Document: Declaration of the Trillium Condominium
City Process, Meetings
Transportation Commission: 10/27/2021
Transportation Commission: 11/17/2021
Transportation Commission: 12/8/2021
Board of Public Works: 1/5/2022
Common Council: 1/18/2022