Fire Station 8 is located on Lien Road on Madison’s east side near East Towne Mall.
Fire Station 8 was previously located on North Street until 1990. Old Station 8 was staffed with eight firefighters. It is currently owned by retired firefighter and unofficial MFD historian Mike Fuss.
The current Station 8 is a double-company house, staffed daily with eight firefighters and two firefighter/paramedics who work 24-hour shifts.
Station 8 also houses equipment for the Department's Heavy Urban Rescue Team (HURT). HURT is trained for technical rescues that may include incidents involving confined spaces, trench collapse, building collapse, or high-angle rope rescue.
- Ladder 8 – Madison's first platform truck is a 2014 Pierce Quantum Aerial Platform with a TAK4 suspension featuring a 100-foot aerial platform ladder with water tower. The bucket gives firefighters a safe working area to perform rescues and roof ventilation operations as well as other firefighting activities. It also carries ground ladders, has a 1500 gallons-per-minute pump with 300-gallon booster tank, attack and supply fire hose, ventilation equipment, hand tools, and extrication equipment. Ladder 8 also carries battery-powered HURST e-DRAULIC extrication tools and emergency medical equipment including a defibrillator, oxygen, and immobilization gear.
- Engine 8 – a 2019 Pierce Quantum Fire Engine with a 1250 gallons-per-minute Hale pump, 500-gallon water tank, and 20-gallon foam tank. Engine 8 also carries ground ladders, fire hose, and tools. Additional EMS equipment is also carried on board to be utilized by the crew. Engine 10 is also designed with several cancer prevention options for firefighter health. These upgrades will ease the cleaning of equipment and personnel after a fire.
- Medic 8 – a 2018 Demers ambulance with a Ford E-450 chassis. M8 provides advanced life support for the greater east side of Madison and may be called outside the city to assist with higher acuity incidents. It carries a full complement of advanced life support medicine and equipment including a cardiac 12-lead defibrillator, oxygen, and immobilization gear. To aide in patient and paramedic safety, it operates with a Stryker power-loading cot.
- Squad 8 - a 2005 Quantum chassis, Detroit Diesel Series 60 455HP engine, breathing air, command station, receiver hitches on all sides with 9000-pound winch, storage for plywood and struts in rear, cribbing compartments, TAK-4™ Independent Front Suspension, Command Zone #8482; advanced electronics system, "L"-shaped desk with hinged top dry erase board, 15" LED flat mounted TV monitor on swivel bracket. Pelco video observation system, half-width compartment in hatch compartments for storage of cascade bottles on top, Cascade system, two Wilber 9000 Night Scan light masts, and four electric cord reels.
- 2 Lieutenants – Station officers, one on the Ladder and one on the Engine
- 2 Apparatus Engineers (driver) – one on the Ladder and one on the Engine
- 4 Firefighters – two on the Ladder and two on the Engine
- 2 Paramedics on the ambulance
Station 8, located on the city's east side, proudly claims the name "Beast Of the East."
Station Eight's News
Meet Firefighter Devin Rogers Posted 07/15/2019Recruit Class 8 is now serving at a fire station near you! Get to know Madison's newest firefighters. Where are you stationed? I’m at Station 8 (Lien Road), HURT/Beast Of the East, on the ‘B’ shift. Read more »
Meet Recruit Class 8! Posted 07/07/2019Earlier this year, Madison welcomed thirteen new firefighter/EMTs to your neighborhood fire station. Recruit Class 8 graduated the MFD Fire Academy in January, and some moved on to the MFD EMS Academy to receive their certification and license as Emergency Medical Technicians. Read more »
Assistant Chief Clay Christenson Retires From MFD Posted 05/10/2019The Madison Fire Department said goodbye last week to Assistant Chief Clay Christenson, whose vision and commitment to public safety leaves a lasting legacy that will benefit the community for years to come. Read more »
Meet Apparatus Engineer Justin Jenkins Posted 04/02/2019Where are you stationed? My new station assignment is Station 8 (Lien Road) on the 'B' shift. I'm excited to start this new chapter with MFD. How long have you been with MFD? Read more »
Rick Mulhern, Leader In Technical Rescue and Peer Support, Retires From MFD Posted 02/21/2019The Madison Fire Department bid farewell to Lieutenant Rick Mulhern earlier this month as he capped off a 25-year career with the MFD and three and a half decades in the fire service. Read more »