Station 7 is located on Madison's west side. It is staffed daily with eight firefighters and two firefighter/paramedics who work 24-hour shifts.
Station 7 houses Engine Company 7, Ladder Company 7, and Medic Unit 7. The firehouse was built in 1997 to accommodate Madison's development to the west and replaced the older firehouse located on Raymond Road.
Station 7 added the City's eighth ambulance in April 2010 and became a double company when it added Ladder 7 in November of that year.
Station 7 also houses one of the State of Wisconsin's Regional Hazmat Response Teams. Firefighters based at Station 7 are highly-trained Hazardous Materials Technicians who will respond throughout the State to aide in chemical spill mitigation and cleanup. All members are also trained in Weapons of Mass Destruction response.
- Engine 7 – a 2012 Pierce Quantum-H. It has a 1250 gallons-per-minute fire pump and a complement of ground ladders, fire hose, and tools. In addition, Engine 7 carries emergency medical equipment including a defibrillator, oxygen, and immobilization gear.
- Ladder 7 – a 2011 Pierce Quantum Aerial featuring a 105-foot aerial ladder with water tower, ground ladders, a 1500 gallons-per-minute pump with 250-gallon booster tank, attack and supply fire hose, hand tools, and extrication equipment.
- Medic 7 – a 2016 Ford E-450 with a Braun Advanced Life Support patient compartment. It carries a full complement of advanced life support medicine and equipment including a defibrillator, oxygen, and immobilization gear. To aide in patient and paramedic safety, it operates with a Stryker power-loading cot.
- HIT 7, the hazardous materials (HazMat) response vehicle. HIT stands for "Hazardous Incident Team." This vehicle contains:
- Chemical-resistive suits
- Air monitors
- Response equipment
- A research station
HIT 7 is paired with HIT 12, which is stored at Station 12. HIT 7 is staffed with the firefighters from Station 7.
- 2 Lieutenants, station officers overseeing crew
- 2 Apparatus Engineers (drivers) operating the engine and ladder, respectively
- 4 Firefighters staffing the engine and ladder, respectively
- 2 Paramedics staffing the ambulance
Many stations develop a specific identity over time and develop station logos that members of the crew display with pride. The crew at Station 7 has chosen a whimsical representation of their HAZMAT activities in the form of a masked skunk.
The skunk relates to the noxious fumes and "smelly" chemicals the crew deals with, though they are quick to remind everyone that if you are close enough to smell the product, you are too close and in the "hot" zone.
The original artwork was done by C-shift crew member Matt Powers.
Fire Stations 6, 7, 11, 12, and 13 have community rooms available for meetings. Please refer to our Policy for Use of Fire Station Meeting Rooms. To reserve a room, contact Dawn Turner at 608-261-9829.
Station Seven's News
Recruit Class 7 Graduates the MFD Fire Academy Posted 04/24/201818 firefighter recruits walked across the stage last Friday to receive their badges and pledge an oath to serve and protect the City of Madison with integrity, courtesy, respect, compassion, and trustworthiness. Read more »
Meet Firefighter Benjamin Nevarez Posted 03/06/2018Seventeen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Get to know them by subscribing to the MFD Blog. Where are you stationed? I’m assigned the C shift at Station 7 on the west side. Read more »
MFD Bids Farewell To Retiring Apparatus Engineer Steve Dahlgren Posted 01/02/2018The new year opens a new chapter for Apparatus Engineer Steve Dahlgren, who retires from the Madison Fire Department today after 25 years of service. Read more »
Old Fire Hoses Find New Life At the Henry Vilas Zoo Posted 12/21/201716-year-old Kawan takes hold of the line. With speed and precision she reaches forward, grasping to the ropes and slings with her hands and feet as her body swings upward. Seconds later she’s out of sight, hugging the skylights high above all who watch. Read more »
Upcoming Community Events! Posted 09/08/2017There’s a lot going on at the Madison Fire Department, and we want you to be a part of the fun! Scroll through these upcoming events, and we hope you'll join us! Read more »
Meet Firefighter Patrick Johnson Posted 05/03/2017Eighteen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Check back daily and get to know them. Where are you stationed? I'm at Station 7 (McKenna Blvd.) on the C shift. Read more »
Meet Firefighter Matthew Dykstra Posted 04/29/2017Eighteen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Check back daily and get to know them. Where are you stationed? I'm at Station 7 (McKenna Blvd.) on the B shift. Read more »
Meet Firefighter Ryan Beckwith Posted 04/24/2017Eighteen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Check back daily and get to know them. What is your current station assignment? I'm at Station 7 (McKenna Blvd.) on the A shift. Read more »
Meet AE Daniel Pazurek Posted 04/06/2017Where are you stationed? I'm at Station 7 (McKenna Blvd.) on the B shift. Where were you previously? I was a firefighter at Station 7 on the C shift. How long have you been with the MFD? I've been with the department for 7½ years. Read more »
Meet AE Derek Brown Posted 04/03/2017Where are you stationed? I'm at Fire Station 7 (McKenna Blvd.) on the C shift. Where were you previously? I was previously a firefighter assigned to Fire Station 7 on the B shift. How long have you been with the MFD? My date of hire was October 19, 2009. Read more »